Author Topic: Mexico - kind of not Mexico anymore, more utter confusion...!  (Read 7016 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mexico - kind of not Mexico anymore, more utter confusion...!
« on: Thursday 25 October 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just looking into my friends family history and her maternal grandfather was from Mexico, how would we go about finding Mexican information?  We know his name was John and his surname was possibly Cook.  We're not sure if he was actually Mexican or whether his family may have moved out there in a previous generation. He was born circa 1910 and moved to the UK circa 1930/40 where he settled down and married.

Any info or advice would be great.

Thank you in anticipation
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mexico
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:08 BST (UK) »
I don't know about Mexican records, but the first thing would to be firm up the details you have on John possibly Cook born about 1910. Records in the UK that might be useful would be his marriage certificate, death certificate and possibly naturalisation information.

Do you know if he served in WWII?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 October 07 17:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I have no idea whether he fought in WWI or WWII.  I have tried searching for a marriage cert but cannot trace one. He married Sadie Justice/Seaton.  She was married twice. He maiden name was Justice.

My friend has gone to quiz her parents about them so fingers crossed she'll find some more info.

Thank you for your help.
Legs
xxxx
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
WL-Williams

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I now have a bit more info on these guys

John Cook was possibly born in London c1908.  He married Sarah Ann Rebekah Seaton in the early 1940s (can't find exact date yet).

Would it be possible to find ships lists to Mexico? Or would they sail to the US and go by land to Mexico?

TIA
Legs
xxxx

WL-Williams

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
You could look for them leaving UK on FindMyPast website.
Like most 'recent' searches it may be more difficult to find information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action should list them, although it doesn't seem there were many ships directly to Mexico. They'd be more likely to go to the US and then take another ship or go via land.

So Sarah was nee Seaton, married Mr Justice, then married John, or nee Justice, married Mr Seaton, then married John? Are you saying that he and Sarah went to Mexico after they married?

I can see a Sarah A. R. Seaton b. 1911 on freebmd - was this possibly her?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
That is Sarah's birth Jorose, yes, sorry if I confused you, we think she was born Seaton, married Mr Justice then married John Cook.  Their 1st child was born in 1947 in Thanet. ****** Cook, mothers maiden name = Seaton.
Thank you for the link, I'll have a nosey.

Aghadowey, I always forget about findmypast....thank you for reminding me!

I have searched Justice~Cook marriages and cannot find them from 1940-1947

Legs
xxxx
WL-Williams

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Have you tried looking for a Cook-Seaton marriage?
Any idea took John to Mexico in the first place- quite possibly a job like government position, engineering, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 17:32 BST (UK) »
Is John's father Alfred?
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!