Author Topic: Look up Electoral Roll 1911  (Read 13903 times)

Offline royjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Look up Electoral Roll 1911
« on: Thursday 25 October 07 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is there anyone that could possible do an Electoral Roll look up for me?  I am looking to find who was living at both Nos.88 and 94 Ingrave Street,Battersea , SW11  in 1911.  Hopefully it should be a James Bartram living at both properties with their families.

Many thanks
Jan

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Electoral Roll 1911
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 October 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
The electoral roll in 1911 isn't going to help you very much as most women did not have the vote at that time.
You will only see the householder.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 October 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
Jan

The Post Office London County and Suburbs directoy for 1914 has Jas Bartram at 94 Ingrave St Battersea SW 11

The entry says he is a confectioner at 88 and a house painter and decorator at number 94  ;D

You won't have to wait too long now(2009) for part of the 1911 census to be released to find who was living there with him.

Regards

Carol

PS the 1917 edition lists him as the same too. ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline royjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 October 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Thanks for that. Yes, I will just have to wait ! My problem is that my GGrandfather was a confectioner and lived at 94 Ingrave Street the majority of his adult life whereas both the 1911 and 1914 directories show him at No. 88 and I want to know who the James is at No. 94 and professions seem to have swapped addresses.

Thanks
Jan

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 October 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan
How puzzling ??? :D I've just had a look to see who was living at 88 in 1901, it is George Valentine Watkins a House painter. Neither James nor George are running their own businesses, they are both down as Workers, otherwise I'd have wondered if James took over George's house painting business and moved his confectioners to 88 whilst living in 94. Maybe if you could get to look in some directories between 1901 and 1911 it might give some clue as to what happened?
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 October 07 11:52 BST (UK) »
In those days most businesses were in the name of the husband even if it was actually the wife or daughters who ran it.  Is it possible one or more of them was the confectioner. 

How many children did they have?  Again it is possible if there were only two rooms over a small shop they actually split a large family between the two places.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katzr2000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 November 08 02:37 GMT (UK) »
I was also hoping that someone would kindly be able to do a look up on the 1911 Electoral Roll for me.

I am looking to find out who was living at the address on my grandmothers birth certificate at the time of her birth:

46 Victor Road, Islington, London.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Katie