Author Topic: Help needed looking for Andersons in Elgin (COMPLETED)  (Read 2804 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Help needed looking for Andersons in Elgin (COMPLETED)
« on: Friday 26 October 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to trace the birth record of my gg grandfather, William Anderson who was born in Elgin 1821 or 1822.

Evidence I have is:

In the 1851 and 1861 census in Wick, which is where he lived at the time, he was 29 and 39 respectively.  They show place of birth as "Morayshire Elgin".
I have his marriage cert in Wick in 1841 and have him on the 1841 census in Wick, neither of which help me with his parents.
His death certificate in 1891 shows him as 70.
So, with the ages on the census returns and his age on the death cert, I can be fairly certain he was born in 1821 or 1822.
I have run a search on SP for every William Anderson born 1/1/1820 until 31/12/1822 and there are none born in the area.
On his death cert, his parents are given as William Anderson (postman) and Margaret Hendry.  Again, there are no Williams born 1820 to 1822 to people of this name, nor can I find their marriage.

I can't think of anything else to try.

Anyone any ideas?

Please help ???

Dave

-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed looking for Andersons in Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 07 00:17 BST (UK) »
Not much luck....  100 William Andersons on SP born in Scotland from 1820 -22 - couldn't see yours. 

21 Margaret Andersons died in Elgin from 1555 to 1880 - none yours (Hoped to find her or under maiden named who had been married to your William Andersons father ).

Tried IGI  only one near and it's vaery vague is William Anderson born Elgin - about 1820.   Under Source info ' Batch No. F501478, sheet 006.  However this one has him marrying about 1849 and gives no parents names.

Tried Libindex - no joy.

Tried my best,   - good luck in your search.   :O)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 07 00:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying.
Someone else has found the marriage on SP of a William Anderson and Jean Henry in Elgin in 1820.  This might just be his parents. 
The death cert of William was registered by his son so it is possible he got the first name of his grandmother wrong or she went by the two names. 

Think I'll extend my search to Aberdeen.
From IGI the couple above seem to have had at least one child in Aberdeen in 1924.  This time the mother is Jane Hendry.

I'd run out of ideas so this is another route to look into.

Clutching at straws.
Dave
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Further to earlier comments on this thread I might have made progress.

I’ve traced my Anderson line back to my great great grandparents but have been stuck for ages.  Think I’ve now might be on my way to smashing the brick wall. 

So far I have grandmother Jeanie
g grandfather (Thomas born 1858 in Wick married Ann Fortune in 1888 in Glasgow),
g g grandfather (William born 1821 in Elgin married Helen Green in Wick in 1841).

That’s where I got stuck.   :(

As I said before, William’s death cert in 1891 showed parents as William Anderson and Margaret Hendry.  I’ve never been able to find Williams birth or their marriage.  I began to suspect the death cert was wrong – it was registered by William’s son who was 36 at the time.  He would have been very young when his grandparents died so quite possible he didn’t know his grandmothers name. 

I now think I’ve found my g g g grandparents born in Elgin – William b1795 and Elizabeth b1794.  He was a wood merchant and moved from Elgin to Wick between 1833 and 1839 and lived in the same street as William and Helen (my g g grandparents).  They had 5 other children.  One was called Peterina which is also the name of one of my g g grandparents other children.

I need to get their death certificates to try and get further proof that this is the correct family.  I think they both died mid 1860’s in Wick (although I can’t find them anywhere in the 1861 census).   Once I have Elizabeth’s maiden name (which hopefully I’ll get from the death certs), I can then look for their marriage.  If it was around 1820 then that is more proof it is the correct folk.

I can’t do anything until I’ve got money in the bank so I’ll have to leave it until Friday now.  No SP credit left - boo hoo!

I will not get definite proof unless one of their deaths was registered by my g g grandfather.

However, with all the incidental stuff, I think it has to be them. 
What do you reckon?  Do you think it is a safe assumption to make?
Can you think of anything else I could try?  Apart from 1861 I have every census for both Williams and their families.   
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed looking for Andersons in Elgin (COMPLETED)
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 07 13:58 GMT (UK) »
This has now been resolved.  Thanks to everyone.
See my other post for outcome.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,264282.0.html
-------------------