Author Topic: Hawkins of Essex  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hawkins of Essex
« on: Friday 26 October 07 20:55 BST (UK) »
I and several others are interested in this group, and would love to hear from you. we're looking to expand on the family listed here, I can give descendancy on one line but I know there's lots more out there.

we are looking for Hawkins in Finchingfield, Helion Bumpstead, Coggeshall , Chelmsford* and Colchester and I'm certain other places will crop up in time.

William Hawkins m. Priscilla Salmon in Finchingfield, either 1676 or, as I believe, 1667.

in the Essex monthly meeting records (Quaker) I find 3 children of William and Priscilla Hawkins of Coggeshall.
in a nutshell, they are
Mary 1668
Sarah 1670
Will 1672
then there's a space, and we find 4 children of William and Priscilla Hawkins of Helion Bumpstead
John 1677
Christopher 1682
Priscilla 1685
Matthew 1686
there may be others, but this is all we've found so far without looking at any pr's other than Quaker ones.
here's the situation-all of the Helion Bumpstead male children removed to Colchester and are also in the Essex monthly meeting records. not their births, all but one are married there, and all of them have children recorded there. I know that Helion Bumpstead had a Quaker meeting house, but don't have access to those records at this time...I'm almost certain that they will show up in those records.

*there is also a Christopher Hawkins b. 1636 Chelmsford who m. 1674 Grt Coggeshall to Mary Guyon. he was the son of John. perhaps Christopher is a brother of William.

as mentioned above, this is just what I have in a nutshell, as far as most of the Quaker records go.
Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: Hawkins of Essex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 08 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a Henry Hawkins B Whitstable Kent. In 1897 census was living in Chelmsford Essex He is on my maternal grandmothers side of the family. His mother was born 1832 in Swalecliffe, Kent.

Henry was a butcher by trade
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset