Author Topic: Anthony Hamilton,Whitehaven  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Ron Ham

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony Hamilton,Whitehaven
« on: Saturday 27 October 07 03:01 BST (UK) »
My problem is as follows,hoping some kind person can break the impasse .  My G/Grandpa Anthony Hamilton is recorded on his Marriage & all census records as having been born in Whitehaven in 1813 ( His father was also named Anthony).   I have been unable to locate a birth cert. for him .    I employed a researcher at the Whitehaven Records Off. for 1.1/2hrs  who failed to locate any birth records for my Anthony .     The only other Anthony in that time frame was , Anthony baptised in Holy Trinity ,Whitehaven ,19/6/1752, son of Isaac & Frances.         !828 ,  Col. Anthony Hamilton , Roper St, Whitehaven .     Lieut.Col.Anthony Hamilton , died,25/6/1830, Holy Trinity Church .       My Query is , was this Anthony married & did he have progeny ,   As his father was a surgeon & my G/Grandad was initially a Medical student in 1841 ( but dropped out) in London ,which may have been a reason for not contacting his family later!  if indeed they are his family ,they may have disowned him ?   I hope someone can unearth a clue here, it would be most appreciated.   Ron Hamilton ,Tokoroa, N.Z.  :(
Cumberland/Liverpool. Hamilton,    Bangor/Liverpool, Hanks .    Liverpool/Staithes /Whitby.  Adamson .   Liverpool,  Hughan

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Hamilton,Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron - Welcome to Rootschat :)

I can't help with anything specific, but I've noticed there was an aged HAMILTON lady in Whitehaven in 1841 who was perhaps the widow of Col HAMILTON (but too old to be mother of your Anthony.

Lowther St, Whitehaven
Dorothy HAMILTON 94 Ind, Cumberland
plus 3 servants

I guess her death certificate would indicate who her husband had been.

Deaths Sep 1845
HAMILTON    Dorothy         Whitehaven    25   98

Oops!  :-[  I've just discovered she was a sister of the Colonel's, bap 1746, dau of Isaac. Sorry - good luck!
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Ron Ham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 07 10:20 BST (UK) »
 :)Thank you so much  Geoff for your input, I still feel there is a link to that family . I am informed they were an influential family thereabouts . It was one of those family myths that he came from a well-to-do family & he was obviously well educated & maintained a respectable position all his life until his demise in Liverpool in 1891. I wonder if his death cert. would reveal anything more? I will try that.   Ron
Cumberland/Liverpool. Hamilton,    Bangor/Liverpool, Hanks .    Liverpool/Staithes /Whitby.  Adamson .   Liverpool,  Hughan

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Ron,
On the UK National Archives website, there is a will of an Anthony Hamilton of Whitehaven, dated 25 October 1830.  The date is the date the will was proven I think, so fits in with the date you have for the death of Lt Col Anthony Hamilton. Downloadable for £3.50.
Alan
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 October 07 23:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Ron and Alan ;D

There are a lot of Hamiltons listed on IGI in Whitehaven going back to early 1700s.  There are a lot of Isaacs,  but couldn't see your Anthony listed.

It's annoying when you can't get any further, hopefully his death cert will help, or the will that Alan mentioned.

There is a Hamilton Terrace, and a Hamilton Lane in Whitehaven - who knows, maybe named after one of your ancestors ;D

Rosemary

Offline Ron Ham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 07 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alan , that sounds a very interesting lead to follow  & one I was unaware of .     Rosemary too for your efforts.   Re Hamilton Lane , one of those family legends when I was a child referred to an old will in the deed -box that mentioned a number of cottages in a Hamilton Lane , Whitehaven , unfortunately it had disappeared & I recall asking a ship-mate ,who came from Whitehaven if a Hamilton Lane existed, which he confirmed , this was before all this technology etc. when I didn't even knew my G/Grandfather came from there , the mystery thickens !  but intrigueing  & thank you all again for your help .   Ron Hamilton , N.Z.  :)

Offline Ron Ham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
An update on this post . Alan kindly down-loaded the will re Anthony Hamilton which states he had 4 children & one was named Anthony !  Now I want to find a birth record for that Anthony to determine if it was my G/Grandpa  who was stated to be born in 1813  at Whitehaven  ???  In my dreams !  Ron Hamilton  N.Z.

Offline bobgraham

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Ron, I don't think you will find a birth certificate as they didn't start till 1837 and even then were patchy for the first few years. You need a baptism record from 1 of I think 3 main churches in Whitehaven at that time.
bob
Cumberland: Graham and Greenop
Yorkshire: Altass
Scottish Isles: McLean

Offline Ron Ham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay, Bob,  but I believe the researcher in Whitehaven had tried the local churches, which is why I was flummoxed  ??? Ron Hamilton N.Z.  :'(