Author Topic: Anthony Hamilton,Whitehaven  (Read 4911 times)

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Hamilton,Whitehaven
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 07 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Col HAMILTON had returned to Whitehaven around the time of young Tony's birth (perhaps slightly after).  You have his other children's names - have you managed to find out whereabouts they were born?  The Colonel would have been 60ish at the time and may have returned home to retire from the Army.
Don't cry because its over. Smile because it happened.

Offline Ron Ham

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 November 07 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Again I must apologize , The only information on the colonels will stated his estate was to be divided equally between his 4 children, Anthony ,Harriet Louise, Elizabeth, & Maria Frances , he was entrusting Elizabeth Spedding & John XXXX  as guardians during their respective minorities , so presumably some were still children ,  I must thank Alan again for this deciphering of the will ,as its almost unintelligable to me !    Another coincidence to me is that my Anthony christened his daughter Maria Louisa ?    Your supposition that the Colonel had been a travellor & retired & married late had occurred to me also as he had been with the Honourable East India Co ,  (Clive of India,s Co , & didn't he do well ?)  Ron
Cumberland/Liverpool. Hamilton,    Bangor/Liverpool, Hanks .    Liverpool/Staithes /Whitby.  Adamson .   Liverpool,  Hughan

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 November 07 12:07 GMT (UK) »
If you have census access, you'll find Elizabeth HAMILTON (26) and Maria F HAMILTON (22) in the 1841 census

HO107/529-10/14/21
EDIT: I've just noticed at the bottom of this largish household an Anthony Hamilton BOWMAN aged 6!  He seems to have been born in Lamplugh, son of John BOWMAN and Harriet Jane HAMILTON who married at Whitehaven in 1831.  Harriet was buried 29 April 1835 (aged 26), 3 days after the baptism of Anthony.  A baby Harriet Jane BOWMAN was buried 13 Nov 1833 aged 9wks.

If you don't have census access, let me know ... I'm off to look at 1851 ...

HO107/2490/209/48
Elizabeth HAMILTON and Maria F HAMILTON are both in Carlisle - both give birthplace as Whitehaven.  Neither baptism seems to be in the IGI.

John BOWMAN (wid) 60 Landed Proprietor, Lamplugh was living in Lamplugh.

Offline Ron Ham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 November 07 13:46 GMT (UK) »
 :)Geoff,  I dont have immediate census access & I'm thrilled with your revelations ,but saddened about Harriets fate,  the son Anthony does not appear to be in the locality in 1841 which gives credence to our Anthony who was in London in 1841( the census there states he was born out of county) , being the brother .  I know all about him from that point on ,but at no point did he appear to contact ,to our knowledge, his family in Whitehaven .  The fact that the girls dont appear on the IGI also doesn't make his absence seem so outof place now !  I cant express my appreciation sufficiently for  any thing you can glean from the records to fill in the gaps because I'm convinced there must still be distant relatives in that locality still , now that I think we have made the link  I am elated!   Ron
Cumberland/Liverpool. Hamilton,    Bangor/Liverpool, Hanks .    Liverpool/Staithes /Whitby.  Adamson .   Liverpool,  Hughan

Offline GeoffE

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 November 07 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Broughton Square, Broughton in Furness
Roger RAY 42 Attorney's Clerk
Sarah 41 (NOT
Robert 11
Elizabeth 9
Betty 85 Widow
Elizabeth HAMILTON 26 Boarding School Teacher (NOT
Maria Frances 22 Boarding School Teacher (NOT
Elizabeth PICKTHALL 13 (NOT
Isabella NELSON 11 (NOT
Elizabeth GRICE 10 (NOT)
Anthony Hamilton BOWMAN 6 (NOT
Those marked (NOT were not born in Lancashire

2 Victoria Place, Carlisle
Elizabeth HAMILTON 39 Teacher, Whitehaven
Maria F 27 Teacher, Whitehaven
plus 2 Servants and 7 Pupils

I hope they didn't teach sums! ;)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 November 07 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ron,
Do you have copies of your Anthony Hamiltons marriage certs? He appears to have married twice, to Charlotte Yardley in 1845 and Mary Ann Yardley in 1857. Marriage certs usually give fathers occupation, as well as his name, even when deceased.
Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Ron Ham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 November 07 04:53 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hi Everyone,   'How may we extol thee',springs to mind! I hope I'm not too effusive when I say my gratitude knows no bounds, for all your time & expertise . Without your assistance I have to admit I'd have resigned myself to permanent disappointment ,but I'm convinced the link has been established to my satisfaction.    I am aware that Anthony married Charlote Yardley who died after 10yrs ,leaving him with 2 small children , he then married Mary Ann her sister 2yrs after (illegal at that time ,but it happened), he was employed as a book-keeper/Station-master  at various locations with a railway co. during all this period until settling in Liverpool about 1871. On all records his father Anthony is just recorded as deceased .   People , especially the fairer sex ,have been juggling their ages for multiple reasons for years ,maths had nothing to do with it ! Ha Ha !    Ron