Author Topic: FRANCE: DUMONT  (Read 2712 times)

Offline tess4207

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
FRANCE: DUMONT
« on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:39 BST (UK) »
The Dumont family I am interested in is Frederick William Dumont.His son Lane Corporal Frederick William Dumont 267 43rd Battallion enlisted 14/1/1916 and died of wounds sustained in France 19/10/1917 aged 23yrs.He is buried Belguim 3 NIne Elms British Cemetery Poperinghe Belgium.The family emigrated to Australia .This is not my direct line but am searching for link.They were cousins of my greatgrandmother.

Moderator Comment:  new topic,  split off from
Topic: French Relatives - Where do I start?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,173401.0.html
AGAR ALLAN HAYWARD BUDD COMBE ELLIS JOHNS MCARTHUR MCDONALD MCKENZIE MANSER MILLER MORGAN MORRIS
NEWBOLD NICHOLS ODONNELL PEARCE PENNINGTON PRIDHAM REDPATH SHIELLS WILSON

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: French Relatives - Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/search.htm

Tess, you can search for the Australian part of this family here.  Frederick William Dumont and wife Florrie/Florence appear to have had children Clarice M, James, Albert H and Walter J, younger siblings to the Frederick William who died in WWI.  James died 1901.  Clarice M died 1905.  That leaves Albert H and Walter J's descendants if you want to find descendents of this line.

Marriages: Albert H. Dumont m. Audrey Lean, 1924.
Walter J. Dumont m. Milicent A. A. Flack, 1928

(also if you're going back, the marriage of Frederick William Dumont and FLorence Morris is also listed)

Deaths:
Frederick William Dumont son of Abraham and Margaret d. 1938
Florence Dumont, father William, d. 1950

There's also a James Dumont d. 1951, parents also Abraham and Margaret.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wendles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 06 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have been looking through your messages and John Courts is My G G G Grandfather also.

Sorry it is not to do with your french relatives but I thought I would mention it.

Best Wishes
Wendy
Clarkson, Butler, Macmahon, Burns, Crouch, Cave, Barnes, Barlow, Courts, Dernie, Marsh, Snowden, Swales, Davison, Dodds, Blain, Taylor, Telford, Todd, Yorkshire - Northumberland - Nottinghamshire - Cambridgeshire - Huntingdonshire - Shropshire - Ireland.

Offline birtles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 November 06 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have French relatives as well - easier said than done to look for them - if you have an idea of where they came from then join a French group - such as geneprovence[--at--]yahoogroupes.fr or gencorreze[--at--]yahoogroupes.fr - there is a good selection on yahoogroupes.fr and you will find people willing to help you - or at least I did.
Slowly but surely the bdm's are being put online - but not nationally just by departement. There is also a site dedicated to War Dead which is helpful - http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/
Sometimes if you are lucky on the birth entry you will find the marriage or death details added in. A snag tho are the French privacy laws - you will be lucky to get any info less than 100 years old unless you present yourself at the Marie with proof that you are a direct descendant
I was lucky to have a funeral invite from early 20c + found 2 living relatives by mail-dropping people in the telephone directory
http://fr.pj.yahoo.com/

Good luck!

Suzanne

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [AT] with @
Dodds + Laws in Co Durham
Holman + Hocking in Cornwall
Chambers + Hall in Yorkshire + Co Durham
Ellis + Leonard in Shropshire, Staffordshire + Glasgow
Péronne + Molinié in Brive la Gaillarde + Caylus
France
Bentley + Wood in Westminster + Marylebone
Rothwell + Schofield in Rochdale
Hills + Hills in Keston

Offline pavane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: FRANCE: Dumont
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 07 09:39 BST (UK) »
Returning to the original question on Dumont. I know that there was a large family of Dumonts on the Lyon area in the 1650's, because my ancestor was godparent to one, Samuel Dumont, born November 1655 (died 1665). Also, two children of the well-known physician Charles Spon married Dumonts. One was his son Jacob, who became famous as a traveller and travel writer.

I don't suppose this is much help though.
Jennings (Somerset), Sievers (London and Netherlands), Richier (Netherlands & Germany), Chappuzeau(Germany),Garner (London) , Smith (Guernsey), Brand (London and Germany),  Burney (Liverpool & London), Oakley (Wales), Creek (Wales & Devon)

Offline nevilles

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FRANCE: DUMONT
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 October 14 06:11 BST (UK) »
I am Fred's 1st cousin twice removed. Grandmother was a first cousin.
The Dumont/Du Mont's came to Australia from Guernsey in 1854 just after marrying at St Peter in the Wood.
http://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Dumont-Family-Tree-227