Author Topic: Pencil Drawing. Completed.  (Read 1554 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pencil Drawing. Completed.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 10:59 BST (UK) »
All I can say is that it looks alarmingly like my elder daughter. Very clever of the artist to sketch someone who wasn't born until 1975!

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline RBC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret & Beth

I learn something ever day with RootsChat. Margaret I think I see what you mean about the nose. Is it the direction that is wrong? The head is pointing slightly to the left the nose is straight and closer to the left eye. I hadn't noticed it before.

My grandfather and uncle were both Alfred Head so either of them could have drawn the second picture. I have no drawing ability at all but envy people who have. If any of my family could have drawn any sort of pictures I would have loved to have known about it.

My father was a draughtsman and would never make any effort to draw for me, neither would my mother.

It really is the child's picture that has always interested me. A young friend who is  twelve now has had  her eye on the book for a couple of years. I said I would leave it to her in my Will!!

RBC

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi RBC

In my opinion, the 2 pictures were not drawn by the same person.

The picture of the girl shows a very light touch, possibly even a female touch (if that isn't being sexist), whereas the strokes in the soldier picture show a lot more of a forceful and direct approach to the picture.

I wish my drawings came out looking even a fraction as good as either of these.

Glen

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi RBC,
the nose does have the tendency to point in a different direction to the sitter.
Shame, the rest is great, the hair is done with such a natural freedom, and all the tones are great.  It was the only thing that separated amateur from professional.   But do not rely on my word as I am no master myself.

Was your grandfather or uncle (AH) in WW1?  I imagine if your father was a draughtsman then he would be a likely candidate for being the artist of the war pic.  As Glen says, this drawing has a lot of freedom in the brush strokes.
I have one drawing my father did, and my mum could only do stick figures, so I figure any talent in my family came from his line.  Thanks dad ;D ;D

You may never know for certain who the artist was who did the pic of your mum, sorry. 

Good luck and thanks for sharing.
Margaret

Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia

Offline little meg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
Meant to mention that if you hold up a drawing/painting to the mirror it shows any faults in proportion etc.  Especially if it is a portrait.  I use this technique a lot and boy is it amazing what faults show ::)

Perhaps scanning has brought out the fault of the nose, thus you would not have noticed before.
Something to do with right/left sides of the brain  ;D ;D ;D

Margaret
Simpson-Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Overend-Sutton, Kildwick,Yorkshire & Australia, Whitaker - Cononley/Yorkshire, Pickard - Silsden/Yorkshire, Howarth - Skipton/Yorkshire and Lancashire, Heaton-Yorkshire, Preston-Yorkshire, Myers-Yorkshire & Australia, Wild-Yorkshire & Australia. Storey-Middlesex/Australia