Author Topic: Got back to a marriage in 1756, then nothing  (Read 888 times)

Offline humerous

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Got back to a marriage in 1756, then nothing
« on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:26 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace back my paternal line to a marriage in St Paul's Church, Jarrow, Durham in 1756. But no further. Name of ancestor is John Lundin. He was a baker, married twice, 2nd time in Newcastle upon Tyne and he left a will but I have come to a dead end. Can't find any trace of his birth in parish records or IGI. Any one got any ideas about where I go from here?

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions.

Humerous

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got back to a marriage in 1756, then nothing
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Humerous. You have done very well, better than many of us apart from those who are descended from Charlemagne.  ;D

New knowledge comes slowly and often from unexpected sources. I suppose that if you have done so much research you will already have discovered that people's names were spelt as the clergyman pleased so there are many variations on Lundin under which other ancestors may be lurking.

It would be worthwhile posting also on the Durham and Northumberland boards.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline humerous

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 October 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have come across the various spellings of the surname. One thing in my favour was that John Lundin and his children could write and the family was virtually the only one in the North East. Unfortunately, the family wasn't particularly 'healthy'. Although there were many children in the generations during the late 1700's and 1800's, most of the males either died young or had girls so the name has died out in the various 'branches' of the family tree.

Thank you for the suggestion re posting. I am a raw beginner at RootsChat and haven't yet worked out how to post on the Durham and Northumberland boards but I will persevere.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 07 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Look up the page - you will see a line of buttons Welcome - Home etc.

Press Home.

Look down the page and you will see all of the main boards including English Counties.

Click on the county that you want and you are there. You may reply to an existing post or start a new thread.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 07 07:49 GMT (UK) »
You say you have traced back to a marriage in Jarrow. Could it be that they were married in the Parish of the wife, and the births could have taken place at their married home - possibly an adjacent parish?

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 07 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi humerous,

Anyone who has traced their family back to 1756 deserves congratulations!

Let's hope you get further - but you just might have to join the rest of us who haven't even gone back as far as you have.

Regards,

JAP