Author Topic: Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries
« on: Sunday 28 October 07 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information/location of Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries.  On the 1871 census my ancestor William Dalyell (Dalziel) Bland born October 21, 1827 was living there.  His occupation was that of a Gardener/Groom.  Any information on Loch Vale Cottage or the owners would be would be appreciated. 

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Loch Vale Cottage, Dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 October 07 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Dumfries Burgh
Dumfries
dumfriesshire

Registration number 821/1 ED 20 Page 22

Loch Vale house

Annie Ericsson age 66 Proprieters wife (70 Acres) born Dryfesdale
John Ericcson age 30 born Indies East     Late Awey? Office
Susan Forfar age 50 Domestic Cook  born Cummertrees
Susan grey age 21  born Wilton Rox. housemaid says sister??

could be Willliam is gardener to these people living in a cottage on their land.

also Browns living Loch Vale cottage  Ploughman

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 October 07 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Loch Vale Cottage appears to be either semi-detatched or two separate cottages.

In the 1871 William Bland, aged 42 and born New Galloway,  and wife Isabella are the next household listed after the Browns. William is listed as Gardener (no mention of him being a groom on this census). The next household is Loch Vale House. It is occupied by the Griersons rather than Ericssons - obviously a wrong transcription.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 07 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at modern maps of Dumfries to try to pinpoint it's position.

In 1871, the cottage was in St Michael's which was the:

The landward district, and part of the town, is under the minister of St. Michael's, and the remainder of the town is under the care of the minister of the New Church..

Just to the east of the main shopping area and south of Brooms Road is a road marked Grierson Avenue. Given that the Grierson's were quite a prominent family in the locality, it could be that this is the area to focus on in any old maps.

Also the Griersons were prominent in Kells/Balmaclellan which might have a bearing on William working for them  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 07 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Loch Vale Cottage appears to be either semi-detatched or two separate cottages.

In the 1871 William Bland, aged 42 and born New Galloway,  and wife Isabella are the next household listed after the Browns. William is listed as Gardener (no mention of him being a groom on this census). The next household is Loch Vale House. It is occupied by the Griersons rather than Ericssons - obviously a wrong transcription.

Gadget

Is it possible that William Bland and his wife Isabella were living with the Browns at Loch Vale Cottage?  I would appreciate any information in regards to the Brown family that were living there and if there was any possible relationship between the Brown and Grierson family (either employee or relative).  I appreciate your help so much. 

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 October 07 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't mean to highjack your thread, but I see a name which is in my family. My G-G-Grandmother was Isabella Grierson, born in Cumberland England, her father was James Grierson, Keeper of the Temperance Coffee House in Dumfries.  Isabella was born 1835.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 October 07 21:34 GMT (UK) »
On the 1871, the Isabella Grierson living at Loch Vale House was 66, a widow and born Dryfesdale, Dumfrieshire.

Gnu

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 November 07 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Attached is an extract from the Dumfries and Galloway Standard dated 29th January 1879.

It would appear to have been on the market a few times.  At one time it was a Boys Home.

Did you get the other information I sent on a P.M.

Betty