Author Topic: Johnshaven - Andrew Gove  (Read 12306 times)

Offline Loumuff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnshaven - Andrew Gove
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 August 08 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Thanks for replying.  Yes, small world it is!!

My husband's grandfather was indeed called James Lamb Gove born 20 September 1904.  (My husband is also James Lamb Gove born 3 October 1965).  He was a hairdresser and had a shop at the top of Victoria Road.

If you want any more information or photos, just say the word, I can give you copies of what I have.

My husband would be interested in seeing the photo of Andrew Gove and any information you may have, if you wouldn't mind.

I can't believe how easy it is to get hooked on finding the ancestors, its so addictive.

Angie

Nicoll, Stewart, Rae, Swan, Gove, Fleuchar

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
Angie,

Have a look at this topic as well -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,269608.0.html

This will give you some more info on the Gove line from Gourdon, and a photo of my G-Grandfather Andrew Gove

You can certainly get hooked on this ancestory stuff!  I only started last year, and I've already traced family members to Australia on my Dad's side, USA on my Grandmother's side, and a possible relation in South Africa!

What fascinated me was just how far they travelled back in the early 1800's before cars and trains. When I started reading up on the history of the times, it seems that travel by sea was quite common. There was a passenger service from Dundee to London run by the DP&L shipping company, for example. 

I would love to see what you have on your side of the Gove line. I'll send you a PM with my email address.

Cheers

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Grannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 April 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi folks. 

I'm a few years late in joining this thread but only just starting to re-look at my husbands family tree. 

My husbands Gt, Gt Grandmother was Christina Gove born Feb 1853 in Gourdon - parents were Andrew Gove and Mary Ann Strachan.  Christina married Alexander Davidson and Gove has been used as a middle name since.

I have that Andrew and Mary Ann had 12 children but except for what I read here about Andrew and what I already have about Christina we know nothing of all the others and their descendants.  Would love to make contact with relatives while my father in law is still around.

Regards

Carrie