Author Topic: Curries of Moffat  (Read 4664 times)

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Curries of Moffat
« on: Sunday 28 October 07 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Any suggestions on how I can locate any information on my grandmother's brother who lived in Moffat.  His name was George Melville Currie, born 1879 at Raeknowes, Johnstone Par. and married in Moffat 1915 to Bella Main.  They had 4 sons, Norman, Melville, Ronald and Thomas. 

I have tried to locate records online and have found nothing for Moffat. Any help would be appreciated.  Lynne
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
Re: Curries of Moffat
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 07 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Lynne ;D

You could try http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

They hold a lot of records but I think you have to pay per view.  Worth a look though.

There is a transport firm called Curries (haulage lorries) that the firm I worked for used, I'm sure they were in Dumfries.

Have you tried IGI (family search)?  or do you have access to Ancestry?  They have Scotland's censuses.  I have access if haven't already done a search on there.  Let me know

Rosemary ;D

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 07 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary,

What I'm looking for is too recent for the IGI, or ScotlandsPeople.  I was hoping someone in the area would be familiar with the family or the cemeteries.  This branch is the only one we can't locate.  We hope to go there next summer and may have to look in every graveyard ourselves.  Thank you for the suggestions...Lynne
Smith, Webster, Cruickshank of Aberdeenshire<br />Smith, Legg of Banffshire<br />Smith, Corrie, Thomson, Lockerby of Dumfriesshire

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I think you have to be cautious with the Moffat marriage. Moffat is a small town where the marriage might have taken place, 20th century being less need to marry in home parish. Might have been in one of the minority churches, or might have had relatives there who suggested it. Johnstone Parish is down the Annan from Moffat around Johnstonebridge, which is pretty small, half way between Lockerbie and Moffat, and that could be widened to include St Annes to west or Wamphray parish between Johnstone and Moffat. Raeknowes comprises quite common elements and could be hard to place.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynne

The marriage should be on Scotland' People - they go up to 1931 but is it the details of the children that you require?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look in the newspaper indexes today and came across the following under deaths of Dumfries and Galloway Standard dated 28th December 1912 page 5 column G.

CURRIE - on the 20th inst. at Moffat Cottage Hospital Agnes Johnstone, wife of George Melville Currie aged 34 years.  Deeply regretted.

Betty

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I have just been on Scotland's People and found a marriage in 1904 for George Melville Currie to Agnes Johnstone and one in 1915 to Isabella Main.  The second one was Moffat.  The first one was Dumfries but I don't know what area of Dumfries.  You can obtain all that with a matter of elimination and it does not use up your credits but if you want to view extracts then it will cost you some credits.

Betty

Offline meandcupcake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 07 00:33 GMT (UK) »
A big thank you to all who have responded to this message.  The name Agnes Johnstone keeps popping up in my family...it can get very confusing!  Does anyone know if the Dumfries and Galloway Standard has an index to obituaries?  I don't know what year Geo Melville Currie died (1960's?) and it would be great to narrow the date down.  The last time I was on holiday in Moffat, (for Moffat Days) everyone I asked for info was a tourist like myself! I think I was the only one who cried when they played the pipes.   Lynne

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 07 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Lynne

I think the Ewart in Dumfries has one. It might also be worth phoning D & G Family History Society.

However, I think Betty is on the spot and will have probably scoured the local info.

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***