Author Topic: Lookup Request Herts Transportee - FREEMAN  (Read 2691 times)

Offline freeman5522

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request Herts Transportee - FREEMAN
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi There freeman,
Don't know if you have considered putting your inquiries on he Australian board or whether you have all you want from Australia already.

If you do not already know this, a full copy of his record can usually be got including his crime and behaviour during sentence.

I can see a William Freeman arrivng as a convict to Van Diemen's land in about the right time frame .
This is on the Tasmanian Archives link below.

http://www.archives.tas.gov.au

Sue

Hi thanks for that but the william freeman turned was not the one I was after as it was a different ship name but thank you  :)freeman 5522

Offline judav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Wm Freeman's prison records are only likely to state that his crime was felony.  You may be lucky enough to find details of the trial in newspaper.  He was tried at Bedford, so it could be in Northampton Mercury/Bedfordshire Times, the NM I believe goes back that far. 
If you are able to visit the National Archives, it would be worth checking if Wm appealed.  If he did then you may find a great deal about him and his family. 
I have researched convicts in the family and found that one appealed 14 times.
I am in the process of compiling information on all convicts sentenced at Bedford to transportation.  So far I have details of where 700 were sent, including your Wm.
Judy

Offline freeman5522

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Wm Freeman's prison records are only likely to state that his crime was felony.  You may be lucky enough to find details of the trial in newspaper.  He was tried at Bedford, so it could be in Northampton Mercury/Bedfordshire Times, the NM I believe goes back that far. 
If you are able to visit the National Archives, it would be worth checking if Wm appealed.  If he did then you may find a great deal about him and his family. 
I have researched convicts in the family and found that one appealed 14 times.
I am in the process of compiling information on all convicts sentenced at Bedford to transportation.  So far I have details of where 700 were sent, including your Wm.
Judy
Hi thanks for the info will check that out thanks  :)freeman5522

Offline Corsharn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 May 08 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Freeman,
William was transported on board the "England" in 1826... His crime was Highway Robbery, and his sentence was  life.

William was my 3rd great-grandfather.

If you would like to send me a personal message, I can help you with further info.

Cheers,
corsharn.

Offline freeman5522

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 June 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for replying to my question I recently found out about his crime being highway robbery also viewed a photo of him when he was older in australia on the ancestry.com.au website so that was pretty cool and also saw a picture of his wife in australia I am related to william through one of his sons donald freeman I tried  to find information through the internet for newspaper articles about his trial but had no luck as I would probably have to visit england for that also if you want to view the photo of william and some other relatives of his in australia it's on the above website if you have not seen them I would be happy for any info on his trial or his family in england as I only have names and birth dates.

:) freeman 5522