Author Topic: Ellen Willmott of Warley Place, Gt Warley, Essex  (Read 7620 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Willmott of Warley Place, Gt Warley, Essex
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 14:26 BST (UK) »
The Mary Spooner Will is quite enlightening.  She leaves a sum of £500 to her great-niece Ellen Fell.  She also leaves a sum of £4000 to her nephew Thomas Tasker, son of Richard & Ellen Tasker.  We’ve previously picked up Thomas Tasker, the grocer, in the census returns from Rotherham.

Richard Tasker married Ellen Raw on 19th May 1800 in Whitby.  Ellen is therefore Mary Spooner’s sister.  Mary and Ellen had a brother William, watch and clockmaker, who lived in Whitby and this may account for Richard & Ellen’s marriage taking place there.  I’ve found a baptism record for a Thomas Tasker, son of Richard & Ellen Tasker, 4th December 1810 in Masbrough, Yorkshire (a district of Rotherham which doesn’t seem to exist as such any more).

I suspect this Richard Tasker may have been the son of Richard Tasker, brother of John Tasker (1738-1816), the architect.  John Tasker was the grandfather of Countess Helen Tasker….godmother of Ellen Willmott.

Regards,
Chris
Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 18:24 BST (UK) »
There's a wealth of info. out there but why is so difficult to find the birth/baptism of Joseph Tasker (circa 1797) and Ellen Tasker (circa 1807).
Joseph died 8th April 1861 and the census was taken 7th April. Newspaper reports say he died at his London residence - not Middleton Hall. There is a '61 census entry for a Joseph Tasker, age 64, widower, gentleman, born Marylebone. Is this your Joseph? Struggling to find him in '51.

Ellen Tasker (circa 1807) states not born in County ie Buckinghamshire in '41 but dies pre '51 Census.

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 19:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, it’s frustrating.  Is the difficulty due to the baptisms being in the Catholic church?

Thomas Tasker’s baptism transcript was labelled Independent, Masbrough.  I’m assuming that means he would have been baptised at the St Bede’s Catholic Church, Masbrough Street in Rotherham.  I’m guessing his sister Ellen may have been baptised at the same church but I can’t understand why one record is easily found but the other isn’t.

The death of Ellen Fell nee Tasker was registered in Aylesbury in 1845.

I haven’t been able to find Joseph Tasker’s census records.  I have an Ancestry subscription and haven’t yet tried to search FindMyPast.  His probate index indicates he died at his London property at 87 Marylebone Street.  He died on 8th April 1861, the day after the census was taken.

I read John Tasker’s Will in greater detail and it mentions his two brother, Richard and James who had predeceased him.  It gives his brother’s childrens names.  The Richard Tasker I mentioned in my previous post (i.e. the Richard who married Ellen Raw) was actually the son of John Tasker’s brother James.

Regards,
Chris

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 03 August 22 21:43 BST (UK) »
The '61 Census record I mentioned above, taken 7th April, has Joseph at 87 Marleybone Street with 2 servants. I had wondered about the PoB - was it a guess by the servants with Joseph unable to provide details. He died on the 8th.

Correction - I misread PoB. Ignore reference to Marylebone.
Apologies

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 04 August 22 08:31 BST (UK) »
Joseph’s father, John Tasker the architect, lived in a property on Baker Street, Portman Square in Marylebone.  So that may have been the birth place of Joseph.

Chris

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 04 August 22 08:33 BST (UK) »
Pl see my correction to post 39

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 04 August 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
John Tasker was living at Mortimer Street, Cavendish Square at the time of his marriage in 1789.

He was the architect who designed and built a number of properties in the Portman Square area from 1792.  I’m wondering if he acquired one of those new properties to live in himself as his central London base.

At some point he also acquired the Fitzwalters estate in Shenfield.  I believe Fitzwalters was passed on to his son Joseph who subsequently bought Middleton Hall as his country residence and sold Fitzwalters.

Chris

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 04 August 22 10:50 BST (UK) »
A couple of the newspaper notices previously posted refer to "Joseph Tasker, Fitzwalters, Essex"

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 04 August 22 10:56 BST (UK) »
An engraving of Fitzwalters dated 1818 is shown on this weblink….
https://www.thedicamillo.com/house/fitzwalters/

The two characters in the foreground may well have been Joseph Tasker and his wife-to-be Anne.

Chris