Author Topic: 1871 census look up please - Farquhar  (Read 12682 times)

Offline abesad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census look up please - Farquhar
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 May 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
My ancestors include Farquhar families of Portsoy.  I haven't come across the names you have mentioned but maybe there is a connection.  The person with most info on Farquhar's of Portsoy is GDub71.  I will let him know about your search. 

Ditsy
Thank you, please let him know, to see if he can link up all these farquhar families.
regards susan

Offline abesad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 May 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Looking at the IGI I found the birth for James to be 16th July 1837 Aberdour, Aberdeen. (typo flst?)
It was recorded as "James Farquhar or Cummine" which tells you that he too was illegitimate.

You might find some entry in the kirk sessions as Isabella had 2 illegitimate children. The fact that both the fathers acknowledged them is good start!

Kirsty

Thanks kirsty, not quite sure what you mean though about the kirk sessions.
regards susan

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 May 09 21:44 BST (UK) »
Minutes were kept of the Kirk Session meetings, some of which have survived.

To explain - from http://www.dgcommunity.net/historicalindexes/trqkirksession.aspx

"The Kirk Session was made up of the minister and elders of the Presbyterian Church - the established church of Scotland - and its task was to maintain Christian standards of behaviour within the parish. In fact, virtually all aspects of the life of the community fell within its remit so these records form a rich source for social, economic and local history as well as a goldmine for genealogists.
Charitable works and the promotion of a virtuous life were the main concerns of the kirk session. It oversaw the care of the poor, maintaining the parish mortifications (charitable benefactions) and licensing beggars. With regard to morality, it hunted out those suspected of fornication or adultery, those irregularly married (ie without the banns having been called in their own parish churches), swearers, blasphemers, slanderers, drunkards and those guilty of prophaning the Sabbath, punishing them with fines and public penitence ."

There appear to be surviving minutes for Aberdour for the period of interest to you just now.
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Aberdour_Church_Records

They have been transferred onto microfilm and are available at the National Archives in Edinburgh.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline calcar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I too have been doing some digging to find the parents of James Farquhar and Isabella Gordon. Their son George Gordon Farquhar, was my maternal grandfather. As for his two sisters, Isabella Cumming Farquhar and Mary Gordon Farquhar, I have no knowledge whatsoever, although I believe they both had several children. Maybe someone out there knows of them. I think one of them had some connection with Grantown on Spey - at least, that's what my late mother used to say.

Offline kwbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Does anyone then have information on George Farquhar that the would not mind sharing?

The only information i have on my great-great-great grandfather, states he married Mary Brown and they had a daughter Williamina Farquhar who died 27th Feb 1916 it states her age as 57 and her location as Buckie. i believe she had at least 3 daughters, Jemima, Jessie Jane and Bella.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kirsty