Author Topic: Edg(e)ley/Shave - Wickhambrook, Any record look up please!  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Edg(e)ley/Shave - Wickhambrook, Any record look up please!
« on: Tuesday 28 December 04 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking to tie up some family information.  According to Commonwealth War Grave records, Adolphus Bertie Edgley (c1891) was born to James Edgley and Betsey Jane Shave from Wickhambrook. 
I have been told that he also had a brother called Major Gaskoin Edgley.  He can be found on the 1891 census, aged 3 although his parents are James and Jane Edgley. ::)

Adolphus Bertie Edgley went to Australia in December 1911.  He joined the Australian Army in WW1 and was killed in action on 07/08/1915 in Turkey. :'(
Major Gaskoin Edgley joined the Suffolk Regiment in WW1 and was later killed in action on 16/05/1917 in France. :'(

The questions I want to answer is whether these two were brothers?  What happened to Adolphus after he moved to Australia?  Was he married?  Was Major Gaskoin Edgley married? 
They are difficult to find so if anyone can find any information on them, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!
Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: Edg(e)ley/Shave - Wickhambrook, Any record look up please!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma Here is 1901 census....Brothers Yes How sad to loose two sons in the war like that ;D

RG13/1739 ED 9 Folio 92 Page 11
Mole Hill
Wickhambrook Suffolk

EDGELEY James Head 48 Mar b Wickhambrook Shoemaker
EDGELEY Jane Wife 47 b Wickhambrook
EDGELEY Major G Son 13 b Wickhambrook
EDGELEY Adolphus Son 9 b Wickhambrook
EDGELEY Harold Son 7 b Wickhambrook

Cheers Happy New Year Kris :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Emma As Adolphus's father is listed as next of kin on his service records so would assume he was not married or wife would be listed....Also I Can c no marriage listed in NSW BMD....Kris  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kris,

Thanks for your help!  All this stems from a visit to Wickhambrook when I saw Adolphus Bertie Edgley on the war memorial there (Major G wasn't though...)
I've been in contact with my 6th cousin :o for the first time today and he told me about Major G.  So, I know where they were born, and I know where both of them are now, but I want to know what happened in between!  I think they would have been my first cousins, three times removed, so not that distant really!! :D

Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Kim Phillips

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 March 12 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma, I'm new to this chat group, so hence the long delay in making contact re your enquiry. 

For the past 12 years I've been working on a project about the 7,249 men of the AIF who were buried or commemorated at Gallipoli.  I've gathers quite a deal of information about them all.  In 2009, 12 of us spent 2 weeks there and photographed every AIF headstone and memorial.

Re Adolphus, I don't have a photograph of him, but I do have the photo of the Lone Pine panel that has his name.  I also have a scan of his probate records.

I'm happy to send them to you.  If you're interested, please visit my web site www.spirits-of-gallipoli.com  There, you will find my email address.  Please make contact, and I will send you what I have.

Regards,

Kim Phillips

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma. Have just seen your posting re Edgeley, Adolphus Bert. Have you got his Australian Army Service file ? If not it is searchable and downloadable free from the National Archives of Australia. It seems he was single as mother and father received a pension following his death. He may have lived in the Brisbane area as there is a letter on file from a Brisbane solicitor regarding his estate, and a letter from his younger brother Harold enquiring about his elder brother (missing etc).

http://www.naa.gov.au then under Collection click War Service Records then WW 1, then click on First Australian Imperial Forces personnel dossiers (World War 1 Service Records); then at top click Name Search and type in Family Name Edgeley and Category of Records and under Army Personnel Records click on World War 1. This gives one record for Edgeley and under Family Name click Display, then to the right of the name click View Digital Copy and you cna then read, print, download.

Also searching arrivals at NAA, there are listed as follows:
1) Edgeley H London to Brisbane arr ORMUZ 3 May 1923
2) Edgeley H A London to Brisbane arr ORFORD 5 Feb 1935
3) Edgeley J London - Australia Arr Esperance Bay 1 May 1923
Best francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Emma, from Victoria Unassisted Passenger Records:
Edgeley, Adolphus aged 20, arrived Dec 1911 on the GOTHIC

Also there is a simpler way on the NAA website go to Search the Collection, and Search as Guest and under Key Words put in Edgeley. Edgeley A B is at top of list of records an click on Digitised Item.

Good luck
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 12 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Emma. Not sure if this is meaningful but Electoral Rolls;

1903 Clifton Station, Maranoa, Queensland Edgeley, James, labourer
1905 ditto

1919 Toombul, Lilley, Queensland Edgeley, Harold Arthur c/- A.B. Webster, Whinstanes, gardener

This is the same address to which the Australian Army wrote to Adolphus' brother Harold (Whinstanes House, Whinstanes, Brisbane) in response to Harold's enquiry concerning his brother.

The last record shown on the Electoral Rolls for Harold Arthur is in 1958 in Fernberg, Brisbane, a gardener.

Could the James Edegely in Electoral Rolls for Brisbane area in 1903 and 1905 be the father of Adolphus ? Maybe there is a family connection between Brisbane and Wickhambrook ?

rgds
francoso

Offline Fanflame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 November 22 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone, and Emma of course...

Well it's 2022 now a decade on from when this thread of information was written  ::) But I have recently returned from a personal pilgrimage to Wickhambrook (Emma and I are distantly related) and photographed all of the Edgley/Edgeley gravestone Memorials. Plus of course the Village Memorial to the fallen during WWWI and WWII. I have tried to no avail to attach a couple of the Village memorial photos below pertaining to Adolphus Bertie Edgley/Edgeley. I will see if I can do it on another reply or post.

Thank you all for the information you have supplied on both Adolphus and his brothers I am going to add most of it into my own family tree records.

Did anyone find out if James and Betsy Jane Edgley moved to Australia as their Gravestone Memorial is also in the Graveyard at Wickhambrook which suggests that they stayed here in the UK and Wickhambrook in particular. I can also add their Gravestone Photo's if you want.

All the very best

Brian
aka Fanflame

Edgeley, Edgley, Dwight, Holloway, Pinnegar, Clark