Author Topic: McNaughton Haddington  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Charjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McNaughton Haddington
« on: Tuesday 30 October 07 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My 4G Grandfather John McNaughton was born in Haddington around  1805 but moved as a boy to Newcastle to work as a Blacksmith in the mines.

We believe that his father was James McNaughton but our current knowledge ends at this point.

I appreciate that there were probably many McNaughtons living in this area at this time but if anyone access to any records which may help us I would be very grateful.
Thanks and regards

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McNaughton Haddington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Surprisingly, there's only one McNaughton birth in the 1785-1815 batch for Haddington! It's for an Alison in 1810, but her parents are Alexander McNaughton and Jean Purves.

Not sure if you are aware, but FreeCen has 100% coverage for East Lothian in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses. There is a possible couple for your James here;

1841 Residence: Poldrate, Haddington, East Lothian
James McNaughton, m, 57, ag lab, born out of county
Elizabeth ", f, 60, -, East Lothian

Next door to this couple are Thomas McNaughton (possible son?) and family. In 1851, James is lodging with the Troup family in Bolton, East Lothian. He's aged 70, an ag. lab., and gives his birthplace as Dunkeld, Perthshire.

Hope this helps.

hume24

Offline Charjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McNaughton Haddington
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hume24

Sorry for the delayed response I have been away, thank you for the information I will certainly follow it up.

Best regards