Author Topic: Parish Records for a Parish in Sligo?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Parish Records for a Parish in Sligo?
« on: Wednesday 31 October 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise me of how I can get a copy of a parish record for a marriage.
2 September 1816 Edward Doyle born c:1785 and Mary or Maria McDonagh born c: 1794
Civil Parish of Aghanagh  Diocese of Elphin Co Sligo.
Thank you Theresa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for a Parish in Sligo?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching the LDS catalogue at www.familysearch.org? If the records are listed you should be able to order them from your local Mormon Library for a small fee.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 07 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi , the Marriage is listed in the IGI but I don't know how to order it. Do you?

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 07 14:00 GMT (UK) »
thindle,

If you have a Mormon Libaray near you they will be able to help you out with ordering in the records..
Good Luck

Yonks Ago
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Theresa,

What is your source of information? I viewed the catholic registers of Aghanagh a number of years ago and can tell you that the years 1802 - 1829 are missing from the marriage registers. If the record does exist perhaps it is in the Church of Ireland registers.

Check below.

http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/rcparishmaps/index.cfm?fuseaction=showidrecords&CityCounty=Sligo&parish=Aughanagh&churchid=533

J.T.A.

Can anyone advise me of how I can get a copy of a parish record for a marriage.
2 September 1816 Edward Doyle born c:1785 and Mary or Maria McDonagh born c: 1794
Civil Parish of Aghanagh  Diocese of Elphin Co Sligo.
Thank you Theresa

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Theresa,

I have checked the IGI and it is in the catholic registers but there is something wrong with the date as the source clearly states the years 1800-1802 and 1830 -

See below:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I got the marraige date from:    info@census.co.uk the man who does this is called Harry Broadrick. the site is... census uk which includes ..        full  parish records I have has quite a few records of births marriages and deaths from this person. I also looked on the IGI Index on family search.  ;D   Take a look at the site. Tess

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 January 08 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Tess,

You are missing my point the IGI year of 1816 does not match it's source which excludes the years 1803 to 1829. Do you have other records indicating that the year of said marriage is correct. The IGI is notorious for it's many mistakes as the transcript work was undertaken by volunteers, it could be the date is a baptism which are included for the year 1816.

J.T.A.

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 January 08 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
So if they only have  the baptisms for those years, then I must have the wrong parents.
You see, I have a Michael Doyle my gtgtgrandfather who supposedly came from Edenreagh County Sligo. He was born ? 18th June 1817 and baptised 31st August 1825. although this seems quite a while from the birth. Especially for Roman Catholics. That would have  made him 8yrs old ? Unless it should have been 31st August 1817. I can't find any other brothers and sisters either. I may have to start again if those records are missing for the parents.
And now I don't know where to start. Thanks anyway, Tess