Author Topic: Parish Records for a Parish in Sligo?  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for a Parish in Sligo?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 January 08 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Tess,

Edenreagh is in the civil parish of Ahamlish which is at the extreme north east of County Sligo whereas Aghanagh is in the extreme south of the county so they are a lot of miles apart. The catholic parish of Aghanagh actually extends into county Roscommon and as most of the records don't include locations Edward Doyle may well have lived even further away in Co Roscommon. Sorry to disillusion you and best of luck.

Normally the catholic church registers of that period only record the date of baptism which in turn would normally be just a few days following the birth, I would check the record by ordering the film if it is possible for you to do so.

J.T.A.

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 January 08 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks very much for your help and advice. I will trya little more but being in Lancashire England it seems very difficult. I have two sets of Irish gt.gt.grandparents one which is Doyle who married someone called Emily Hurley don't know where or when, and a set called Charles and Anne Maguire nee Kelly. I don't even know which part of Ireland they come from. I only found them in England the Doyles in Cheshire and the Maguires in Hull.
 So, it looks like I shall have to give up altogether. Thanks again Tess :(

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 January 08 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Tess,

Never give up, I live in England too. Have you some evidence that your Doyles came from Sligo? When do they first appears in England and what was their names and ages?

J.T.A.

Offline thindle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 January 08 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, the only thing I could go off was the 1871 census at that time Michael Doyle the father was working in a place called Barrowford Lancashire with one of his two sons Michael George my gtgrandfather. They were in a lodging house, it stated that he came from Sligo County and the son was from Longton Staffordshire which I know to be correct because I have his birth certificate. There was another son Patrick J Doyle born in Liverpool he was the eldest. born in c:1848. Michael George was born Sept 1850. The mother was Emily Hurley from Ireland?? didn't say where in Ireland on the 1861 census in Cheshire. After that date neither Emily nor Patrick are seen again on a census. Emily may have died but I can't find her death and Patrick could have married.
The father Michael, ended his days at the Little sisters Home for the Poor and aged in Birkenhead. Michael George met and married Agnes Maguire my gtgrandmother. When and where I don't know. They lived in Accrington and eventually moved to Clayton le Moors Lancashire where I grew up.
Like I said the Maguires are a mystery too I never found them on a census since they lived in Hull where  Agnes was born in July 1849. On Agnes' baptismal record it just said, Ireland. Tess. When the Doyles came to Liverpool he would be about 30yrs old and she would have been 23 yrs old.