Author Topic: renaming of streets in london  (Read 4753 times)

Offline anglessaxonsjutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
renaming of streets in london
« on: Thursday 01 November 07 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know when York Road, Forest Gate became Derby Road? I know Grangewood Street, East Ham was originally Plashet Lane and houses were all re-numbered - 97 Plashet Lane became 21 Grangewood Street sometime after 1918.
Also any info about Sprawlings of Coggeshall/Pattiswick much appreciated. ??? ??? ???
Colbourn- West Ham, Mile End Old Town, Forest Gate, East Ham, Bennett- Wapping, Branch- Felixstowe/West Ham, Wheatley- St. Luke, Bromley-by-Bow, Matthews-Limehouse, Poplar, McNair- Barrow-in-Furness, Lacey-Kings Stanley, Groom(e)-Norfolk,Doncaster,Brighton, Heard-Devon, Sprawling-Coggeshall/Pattiswick

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: renaming of streets in london
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 07 19:54 GMT (UK) »
If you went onto Newham Council's History site I would have thought someone would be able to tell you, as a lad I used to live in Milton Avenue and never knew Grangewood Street was originally Plashet Lane, I can remember my Dad taking me to a call box on the corner of Grangewood St and making a call and giving me the phone, he had just had the phone connected at home and the exchange in those days was of course Grangewood
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Other restorers please feel free to use my work if wished

Offline anglessaxonsjutes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 November 07 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the idea about Newham history. I did visit the family history library near Plashet Park - in Plashet Grove I think. I seem to recall it was the old Passmore Edwards building. Perhaps they might be worth a call! It's interesting to see your memory of the local exchange being named Grangewood - my aunt and uncle lived in Neville Road which is Forest Gate and their number was a Grangewood   4 digit number back in the 60s.
I also think my great aunt lived in Milton Avenue probably in the 1920s.
Colbourn- West Ham, Mile End Old Town, Forest Gate, East Ham, Bennett- Wapping, Branch- Felixstowe/West Ham, Wheatley- St. Luke, Bromley-by-Bow, Matthews-Limehouse, Poplar, McNair- Barrow-in-Furness, Lacey-Kings Stanley, Groom(e)-Norfolk,Doncaster,Brighton, Heard-Devon, Sprawling-Coggeshall/Pattiswick

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 November 07 08:04 GMT (UK) »
In the 60´s I was a PC at Forest Gate Police Station and Neville Road was on my beat. Your memory of the old Edward Passmore building is correct, it was then a library when I spend many hours as a boy. A large garden nursery used to be next door. I can remember Lord Lister´s house in Upton Lane, before the council knock it down along with Fry House in Katherine Road, ah memories!
Knight (Nottingham & Hants) Hancock, (Kent) , Hancox (Warwickshire), Linneys (Hants) Brothers (Langford, Beds,East London), Bridgers (East London)

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 07 03:43 GMT (UK) »
The building in Plashet Park was never a local history library as such, just a plain and simple public lending library. It is now the registry office for births, marriages and deaths for Newham.
The place you need to contact is Archives and Local Studies at Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, Stratford E15 1EL. Archivists Richard Durack and Jenni Munroe-Collins. You will find further details on the Newham website.
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 07 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Richard and Jenni's contact number is 020-8430 6881   ;D
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.

Offline Indaloman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 07 08:59 GMT (UK) »

Offline kevan

• RootsChat Senior
  • My beautiful grandmother - Ethel Litlechild
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 10:36 GMT (UK) »
That link was nearly correct -
http://apps.newham.gov.uk/forums/localhistory/start.pl will work.

Incidentally, my London Pubs site is excellent, sometimes, for finding street name changes in London (& Essex). The search engine for the site can be used to find an address, e.g. 269 Oxford will list a variety of useful details about that address. - See http://londonpublichouse.com/

Enjoy, and any pictures or Pubs histories are always welcome onto the site.
Kevan
Kevan - Wilding, Littlechild, Beard, Cumbers, Murphy, Wickham, Lagden etc.
Public House info
http://essex1841.com &
http://pubshistory.com
http://historyofstratford.co.uk//