Author Topic: Ann Filleul Renouf  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Trouble

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Filleul Renouf
« on: Friday 02 November 07 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Help needed, recently enquired about Dorothy Rose De Gruchy and with help from you good people out there have made good inroads.
However I have one little problem with Dorothy's grandparents.
I appear to have John Buesnel marrying Ann Filleul Renouf in 1867 in St Clement and Jean Olliver De Gruchy marrying Ann Filleul Renouf in 1880 in St Clement.
I Think the parents of the Ann that married John Buesnel were Thomas Renouf and Mary Filleul but do not know the parents of the Ann who married Jean De Gruchy. 
So did Dorothy's grandfathers marry the same woman or did both Dorothy' grandmothers have the same name. I think the latter but if someone is able to check for me I would really appreciate it, thank you.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Filleul Renouf
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 07 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

If no one else picks this one up I can go to the Registry Office again and look it up, but I'm in the UK next week and so the earliest I can get there is 14/11.

Do you have just the year or more speific dates? How did you get the dates?

Stewart

Offline Trouble

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 07 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Both marriage dates came from the IGI 1867 is just the year but 1880 marriage was on the 22nd January. Ann on this one ha a birth year of 1857 but subsequent censuses have her as being born in abt 1852. Your offer to check most welcome when it's convenient to you.

Regards
Steve

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 07 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve

I've now had the chance to do further investigations and I am satisfied that it is coincidence that the two Grandmothers had the same name.

First I checked Rose Annie Buesnel's birth certificate. She was born in St Clement on 17th Nov 1889 and her father was given as John Buesnel and her mother Ann Filleul Renouf. (The reference is St Clement births, 29th Nov 1888 to 3rd Nov 1894, page 73). Note that the mothers name is usually quoted by her maiden name, it doesn't confirm they were married. I then checked for John and Ann's marriage.

I'm always nervous about using the IGI although I agree that it can be a good pointer. In this case, the IGI stated they were married in St Clement but there was no mention and I eventually found it in St John on 3rd Nov 1867. (The reference is St John marriages, Sep 1842 to Nov 1870, page 171). John was a carpenter, his father was John Buesnel and was a farmer. Ann's father was Thomas Renouf and was also stated to be a farmer.

Ernest Renouf De Gruchy was born Dec 1892 and his father was Jean Olliver De Gruchy and his mother Ann Filleul Renouf. Jean and Ann were (strangely) married in St Clement on 22nd January 1880. (The reference is St Clement marriages, Dec 1873 to Dec 1882, page 14). The reason why I say strangely is because they were both living on the other side of the island. Jean's father was Olliver and Ann's father was Josue. They were both farmers.

Ernest had a brother and two sisters born from 1880 so the two Ann Filleul Renouf's were giving birth at the same time in different places to different husbands!!

Renouf and Filleul are quite common names in Jersey. In fact my next door neighbour is a Renouf. De Gruchy is a long standing name with strong connections to boat building and sailing, fishing off Newfoundland and agriculture.

On Wednesday by coincidence I met up with a gentleman called Guy Dixon who is a historian and a genealogist. His mother was a De Gruchy and he has written a book called "The De Gruchy's of Jersey" (along with Walter Le Quesne). In the book is mentioned Ernest and a complete family tree going back to at least 1732. I have found a copy of the book and photocopied 4 pages which I think you will find of interest. It is possible to go back even further but I forgot to do those pages! If you want a copy of the book it costs £13:85 and is obtainable from the Societe Jersiaise. Unfortunatly the image files are too big to attach so can you send me a personal email with your email address and I will send them to you externally.

Let me know if I can help further.

Stewart

Offline pamhi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Came across this correspondence while checking something else - but realise it was some time ago!
Might be able to help if you still have a problem with the various families.
Let me know.
Pam
Filleul/Le Brun/Ahier/Touzel/Falle/Le Moignan - Jersey, Channel Islands
Hepburn - Greenock, Scotland
Lyle - Greenock, Scotland; London England