Author Topic: Census Location Identification  (Read 3222 times)

Offline johnd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census Location Identification
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 November 07 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Thanks Helen for full Census reference - missed that on my last posting.
Sellburn Estates looks interesting - (thanks JoMc) - any clues on its where abouts ?
John

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 November 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
No  :(

I've checked the IGI - nothing promising. I'm looking at OS Maps now. It could just be a very small place. Do you have any idea when/where they married?

Jo
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 November 07 14:28 GMT (UK) »
The only other thing that I can come up with is Seaham Hall (Co. Durham) or Simonburn  but it just doesn't look like that  :-\

Simonburn is just north west of Corbridge
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline johnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 November 07 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry but I can't find a matching marriage for George & Elizabeth on the IGI. The fact that Elizabeth was from Corbridge and their son Thomas was born there suggests this area is most promising but that a guess really.
JoMc mentioned Sellburn Estates earlier. Can't find anything in Northumberland on Google matching this. Can Jo add anything to this?
Cheers
John

Offline johnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 November 07 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Just had a thought that this could be a mistranscription for Newburn Haugh or Hall on the River Tyne just outside of Newcastle. I've tried saying it with a north east accent but I'm not convinced?
Old Maps show both names between Newburn & Lemington.
Does this make sense?
John

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 November 07 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Makes a fair bit of sense  :)

I'd thought of Newburn but couldn't fit the letters in. One doubt is that the enumerator or whoever filled in the household form that would have been used to enter the info in the census book would have known about Haughs so maybe it was Hall - a funny New though  :-\

Jo

Offline twardroper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 November 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again

For your information Robert  b abt 1814 was according to the 1841 51 61 71 and 81 censi a Cordwainer, Leather Cutters Showman, Hide Agent, Wool Buyer and a Woolstaplers Traveller respectively. In 1841 he lived at Main Street Corbridge.

Another possible clue - in 1871  he was living with his adopted daughter Ann Howard b abt 1861 Scotland but in a 1881 he was living with his granddaughter Ann Richley b abt 1862 Scotland. If it is granddaughter then presumeably there should be a Richley Howard marriage for a daughter -  only one I know of is Elizabeth b abt 1839 Corbridge.

Tony
My ggg grand father's names are Wardroper Reah Hillyard Thompson Sillick Druery Duxfield Heads Blacklock Richley Coulsen Riddle Scott Brown Dent - mostly from N.E.

Offline JoMC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 November 07 22:04 GMT (UK) »
 ??? ??? ???

This one was a coal miner in Co. Durham in 1851  ???

Are we talking about the same one?

Jo

Offline johnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 November 07 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo
I think a couple of stray messages have got into this thread. Going back to your 17.24 message I agree that the Ne is a bit obscure from the image - however the second letter I think is an e. What I was basing my assumption on was the Ancestry transcriber took the first letter as N. Not sure if he used the original document rather than an image. If you look hard  is that a hint of a line in the gap between the first two letters?
I'll keep an open mind on this.
Cheers
John