Author Topic: Garlick of Glossop.  (Read 18254 times)

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Garlick of Glossop.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 March 11 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Garlick (1783) son of Samuel & Martha was my first cousin six times removed - see details of the family Here.

Betty Garlick & Benjamin Syddall (siblings of Samuel & Martha) were my 5 x great grandparents.

Graham

Offline sustev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 March 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rex and Graham. It would be so much simpler if my Joseph was indeed the son of Samuel and Martha.

However my Joseph was the one married to Sophia Willis and according to your website Graham he is not their son. I guess you're right but I wonder if you can remember what was your reasoning in suggesting Samuel and Martha's son was the one married to Mary Hall? Was it because Joseph and Mary lived in Padfield?

I know the two sets of Garlicks must have been close, Padfield and Hadfield are adjacent aren't they and I think it is Sophia's father Joseph Willis who witnessed Samuel Garlick's sister's marriage to Thomas Wagstaffe - that is 1757 Martha - (although of course he may have been on the Wagstaffe side). Also there is the fact that the Padfield Joseph had a son named Squire while the Hadfield Joseph's son William also named a son Squire.

Ancestry has 2 other Garlicks who said they were born in Gamesley: John bn about 1787 married to Elizabeth and Thomas bn about 1792, married to Sarah but I can't find them either.

Rex - I think I have connections to the Winterbottoms of Blackshaw through John's daughter Mary.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 24 March 11 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Sustev
Getting away from your original query,but noticed Mary Winterbottom b1753 d/o John Winterbottom and Rachel Garlick who were at Blackshaw Farm.If I am correct may have married Joseph Newton 10 Feb 1778 at Glossop.

In the course of my Wyatt research I discovered I had sisters Dorothy Wyatt and Hannah Wyatt who married Winterbottom brothers (sons of George) namely Joseph b23 Jul 1784 and Samuel bC1792.
I don't wan't to muddy the waters any further for you.

The George referred to above would have been a brother of your Mary.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 March 11 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Looking at my records I have Joseph to Mary Hall only as a possible, not a definite. It's a long time since we did the analysis but I think I plumped for Mary rather than Sophie because of Padfield rather than Hadfield.

Yes, Padfield and Hadfield are adjacent but at the time the mill building (and consequent domestic development) hadn't taken off so they were more distinct settlements.

The problem with Garlicks is that there is a lack of probate documents and that makes questions such as this difficult to resolve.

Offline sustev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 March 11 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Graham and thanks for that info on the Winterbottoms too, Rex. I didn't have Mary's mother's name but it would have to have been another Garlick!

Offline sustev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 November 12 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Back to Samuel Garlick and Deborah Harrison, apologies if you already have this but is this Deborah's burial at Tintwistle?

Deborah Garlick wife of Samuel Garlick of Hadfield 20 October 1811 see
http://tamesidefamilyhistory.co.uk/tintwistle.htm

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 12 November 12 20:04 GMT (UK) »
 I got that entry from a pay per view site a while ago and was wondering if there was any chance of a connection between Deborah's widower, Samuel and the other Garlick named, but I haven't got any further with that line of thought. Samuel puzzles me because he was widowed quite early but apparently never remarried despite having young children to take care of. claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline LynneOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 12 November 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Interesting that Deborah and Samuel Garlick are still getting some attention. These are my 4xgreat grandparents.

Samuel would have been about 34 when Deborah died and then Betty, the eldest girl, would have been about 13 and probably old enough to take over running the house. It does not appear that Betty married for another 10 years when the youngest, Eliza, would have been 12.

Samuel and Deborah married in 1798 in Glossop. Samuel is listed in 1851 as born in Hadfield in 1777 which would make him 21 at the time of his marriage. (However, I have other information which indicates Samuel was born in Dinting).  In both 1841 and 1851 Samuel is listed as head of house and has Eliza and her husband Ralph Mellor living with him. In 1853 he appears to have died since the death certificate for Samuel Garlick in that year cites Thomas Harrop as the informant and Samuel's daughter Martha (Mrs Joseph Harrop) had a son Thomas (b bef 1826).

I am most curious about Deborah Harrison. I have no clue about where she came from. If she was buried in Tintwistle, I guess they could have been living there in 1811. However, scrutiny of the Tintwistle records available on line don't really give any definite clues.

The connection between this Samuel and his son Samuel (b 4 Mar 1806 in Hadfield) is that Samuel2 and his wife Mary Ann Swindells had a daughter Deborah who died as a tiny infant in 1841.

Looking at the available possible parents for Samuel1 gives us Thomas, William or Jesse all from the Padfield area in 1783. Given that Samuel2's firstborn son was Thomas, it is possible that Samuel1 was the son of Thomas Garlick and Ellin and was born 10 Mar 1763. This would have made him 90 when he died and may be too big an imagination stretch. There is also a burial for a Betty Garlick (w/o Joseph) of Upper House in 1812 in Tintwistle. Maybe Samuel had a brother Joseph.

As far as Deborah is concerned, the IGI lists George Harrison + Sarah; George Harrison + Elizabeth; John Harrison + Peggy; Joseph Harrison in Glossop between 1765-1785. There is also an unnamed female Harrison baptised in Wirksworth on 1 Dec 1775 with a father Thomas Harrison.

I would love to crack this puzzle: who the parents of Samuel and also Deborah were.

Cheers
Garlick Richards Taylor Earl Orchard Lally Schmarbeck Bateman Swindells Williams

Offline sustev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 21:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I can help with Samuel and Deborah but I do have a couple of observations which I'd like to make anyway.
Lynne, you have considered elsewhere that Samuel had a brother Thomas married to Sarah Warhurst. That Sarah Garlick, housekeeper in 1841, appears to be living in Hadfield close to/next door to the family of William Willis. My 1783 Joseph Garlick was married to Sophia Willis, William's aunt, and whose mother was Betty Warhurst.
In 1861 Emy (Emily?), widow of Thomas Warhurst born about 1806, is living with Son in law James Garlick and daughter Betty together with a visitor Benjamin Harrison of Werneth, Cheshire.
The trouble is these are probably just coincidences.