Author Topic: Garlick of Glossop.  (Read 18258 times)

Offline Dee321eeD

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Garlick of Glossop.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I have Garlick from Dinting, Charlesworth, Hollingworth areas, but originally they were from Upperthong, Yorkshire.

My cousin, related through another line, has Garlicks from Glossop!

Dee
Woodhead,Welsby,-Ches.<br />Garlick,-Yorks./Derbs<br />Gilmore,Honeywood-Manchester,Lancs<br />Sinfield,-Beds,Bucks,Derbyshire<br />Partridge-Beds<br /><br />Howcroft-Lancs,Ches<br />Price-Ches<br />Teece-Shrops<br />

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Garlick said in the 1851 census that he was born in Dinting. He was living with his daughter Eliza Mellor's family, age 76. He died 25 Nov 1853 Hadfield aged 78 and the witness was Thomas Harrop, son of Samuel's daughter Martha. I have tried to find a link to the Dinting Garlicks and cannot. How are you related to the Dinting Garlicks? claytonbradley
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 February 11 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Dee and Clayton.   I would like to investigate this further.
I have likely connections to Garlick at Glossop,Hobroad and Dinting but difficult to pin down.
My main interest is Wyatt who lived at Blackshaw Farm Glossop for a long time.

Rachel Garlick bC1720 Dinting  but baptised at Glossop,married 1743 Glossop John Winterbottom.
They resided at Blackshaw Farm.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 07:39 GMT (UK) »
(snip)I have tried to find a link to the Dinting Garlicks and cannot.(snip)
"The" Dinting Garlicks is a very wide field. There were definitely Garlicks in Dinting in the 16th century (the family which Nicholas the Martyr came from) but, as Dee says, many Garlicks moved to Dinting (and the rest of Glossop) in later years, mainly as a result of the cotton boom.

I think it likely that Thomas Harrop was the son of Joseph Harrop and Martha Garlick who married on 8 January 1822 at All Saints Parish Church, Glossop. Both were described as "of Glossop" but that would mean the (extremely large) Ancient Parish.

Looking at my records, Samuel could be the head of the family #66 on our web page http://www.jigrah.co.uk/famhis/garlick3.htm as there are daughters Martha and Eliza (I didn't link the Harrop marriage in as there was no conclusive evidence.

Graham

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Graham. Yes, we've discussed this family before, but having just acquired a new couple of cousins descended from Samuel we are having another go. The Samuel who married Deborah Harrison was living with daughter Eliza Mellor's family in 1841 and 1851 and on 25 nov 1853 he died. The witness was Thomas Harrop, bap 13 mar 1826 Wesleyan Methodist, Hadfield, son of  Joseph Harrop and Martha Garlick. claytonbradley (changed wife to correct one, sorry)
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Dee321eeD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 February 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I think Im the only one of you all from the "other" Garlicks!  My Garlicks were living in the Gun Inn, Hollingworth in 1841 and 51 censuses, only in the yard though, so I take it that means in buildings in the yard.  I have Harrop married into the Sinfield line though.  Alice Ann Harrop born c 1861 Padfield married Sylvester Sinfield.   
Woodhead,Welsby,-Ches.<br />Garlick,-Yorks./Derbs<br />Gilmore,Honeywood-Manchester,Lancs<br />Sinfield,-Beds,Bucks,Derbyshire<br />Partridge-Beds<br /><br />Howcroft-Lancs,Ches<br />Price-Ches<br />Teece-Shrops<br />

Offline LynneOz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 March 11 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I note with great interest the discussion about Samuel Garlick and Deborah Harrison. These are my 4xgreat grandparents. I also have been toiling with records to try to find some connection with Dinting.

Samuel's parents are elusive as is Deborah's Harrison family.

Samuel's son Samuel moved to Brinnington between the 1850 and 1860 census. The family then spread up through Manchester. I was born in Prestwich near Oldham but now live in Australia. To my knowledge the family has always been Methodist or CofE.

Cheers
Garlick Richards Taylor Earl Orchard Lally Schmarbeck Bateman Swindells Williams

Offline sustev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 12:57 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying for several years now to discover the baptism and parents of Joseph Garlick, said to have been born in Gamesley about 1783 but settled in Hadfield.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 March 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
I have noticed a baptism 17 March 1783 for a Joseph Garlick,s/o Samuel of Padfield,linen weaver and Martha Siddal.There was also a marriage 1777 of Samuel Garlick yo Martha Thornerley Siddall (sic).
If you care to PM me with an email address,I will send you what I have found.
There are siblings.

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.