Author Topic: Missing relatives found in U.S.?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Missing relatives found in U.S.?
« on: Saturday 03 November 07 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Found entry on IGI which might be a missing relative but need more information to see if I'm correct.

IGI entry: Jane STEVENS, born N.Y., daughter of Daniel Stevens & Nancy Lamont, married 18 Oct.1898 Manhattan, N.Y. to John MARCUS, born Netherlands, son of Antuna Markus & Mary Jureson.
Checked 1900 census index on Ancestry (I don't have a subscription) and found: John MARKUS age 63 born Germany & wife Jane MARKUS age 49 which could be the above couple.

Family information:
Daniel STEPHENS (c1826-22 July 1856), weaver, m.(19 Mar.1850 Ireland) Nancy Lamont. 'She married second John Boyd and they went to America."

Jane Markus is correct age to be a daughter of my Daniel and Nancy and the parents' names on her marriage are the same. Had thought that Daniel STEPHENS died in Ireland but perhaps he and Nancy went to U.S. and he died there. (Note: brother changed spelling to Stevenson but not sure if Daniel did also).

Can anyone find Jane Markus in 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 census records?
And can anyone find Jane with her parents(?) in earlier census records (under Stevens/Stephens/Stevenson or Boyd?)? I did try searching in Ancestry index but it's not behaving too well at the moment. Am hoping that Daniel & Nancy Stephens might have had other children as well.

Stevenson family reunion is coming up shortly and I am trying to get family notes compiled so that relatives can read them even though I won't be there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing relatives found in U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 November 07 20:55 GMT (UK) »
1900, Brooklyn, 507 Court St.

Markus, John, born Feb 1837 in Germany, married for 2 years, parents born Germany, immigrated 1888, naturalized, baker, can read, write, and speak English

Jane, wife, born April 1851 in New York, no children, parents born Ireland, no occupation

In 1910, there seems to be the same couple in Brooklyn, but the details are a bit different.

They are at 285 Marion St.

Markus, John, age 74, married (second marriage) for 13 years, born Holland, parents born Holland, immigrated 1875, no occupation
Jane, age 58, married (first marriage) for 13 years, mother of 3 children, none living, born New York, parents born Scotland, no occupation

I didn't see anything that looked them in 1920 - the death index at italiangen.org has a Jane Markus died 6 Oct 1913 at 61 years old in Kings Co. and John Markus died 29 Sep 1910 at 75 years old in Kings Co. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 November 07 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Shelly- thank you so much for the information- even better than I'd hoped to find. I'm sure this is the John Markus & Jane Stevens from the 1898 marriage.
Now the problem is to make sure Jane is really the daughter of 'my' daniel Stevens & Nancy Lamont (with a stepfather John Boyd?)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 November 07 23:24 GMT (UK) »
After Shelly's information I went to Italian Genealogy site and did a bit of searching. Too many John Boyds listed but there is a Nancy L. [Lamont?] Boyd died age 82 on 7 Mar.1906 Kings Co.
Next to 1900 Census on Ancestry where I found a family (still in Brooklyn):
John Boyd 77 b.Ireland and wife FANNIE Boyd 76 b.Ireland both to U.S. 1860 [fits with Daniel Stephens dying in 1856] son James Boyd 34 b.N.Y., his wife Mary Boyd 34 b.N.Y. & their daughter Ada Boyd 10 b. N.Y. Also in the household is another grand-daughter Annie STEPHENS 19 b.N.Y.
This looks like the right couple except wife should be Nancy not Fannie. Wonder if her name is mis-transcribed? I'm hoping it's Nancy/Agnes/Ann.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 November 07 00:14 GMT (UK) »
1900, Brooklyn, 153 Wilson Street

Boyd, John, born Jun 1822, married for 38 years, born Ireland, parents born Ireland, immigrated 1860, naturalized, occupation - porter, owned the house free of a mortgage, can read, write, and speak English

Boyd, Fannie, wife, born Jul 1824, married for 38 years, mother of 3 children, 1 living, born Ireland, parents born Ireland, immigrated 1860, no occupation, can read, write, and speak English

Boyd, James, son, born Dec 1865, married for 3 years, born New York, salesman, can read, write, and speak English

Boyd, Mary, daughter-in-law, born Oct 1865, married for 3 years, no children, born New York, parents born New York, no occupation, can read, write, and speak English

Boyd, Ada, granddaughter, born Aug 1899 in New York, parents born New York, attended school for 9 months, can read, write, and speak English

Stevens, Annie, granddaughter, born May 1881, single, born New York, parents born New York, occupation - clerk

Fannie and Nancy are nicknames for Ann, as far as I know, so I wouldn't rule her out on that.  With an Annie in the house, they might have been trying to distinguish between the two.

If they were right on daughter-in-law Mary having no children, maybe Ada belongs to someone else?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 November 07 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Shelly- more fantastic information!
Thought Ada Boyd was daughter of James and Mary but no.
Found on IGI what I think is Annie Stevens' birth: 10 May 1881 [fits with 1900 census] Brooklyn parents- Joseph S. Stevens and Hatie [Katie?] Read.
Italian Genealogy has a marriage: Joseph S. Stevens m.13 Oct.1880 Kings Co. to Katie Read.

Think I found family in 1880- Brooklyn:
John Boyd 52 Ireland clerk in store
wife Ann Boyd 45 Ireland keeping house
son James Boyd 15 born N.Y.
son Joseph Boyd 25 born N.Y. boatman
Children are usually listed in order of birth but think 25 yr old 'Joseph Boyd' is actually 'Joseph Stevens' Nancy Lamont's father was Joseph Lamont so it is possible that he was named for his grandfather.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 07 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Either Annie was born early, or that may have been a bit of a shotgun wedding.   ;)  I've found a few out-of-wedlock births in my own tree recently, so now I'm looking at everyone's timelines. 

In 1870 in Brooklyn, there is:
John Boyd, age 38, porter, born in Ireland, parents of foreign birth
Anne Boyd, age 38, keeping house, born in Ireland, parents of foreign birth
James Boyd, age 5, born New York, parents of foreign birth

Also, at the same address, David Boyd, age 24, porter, born in Ireland, parents of foreign birth and his wife Jane, age 23, born in Ireland, parents of foreign birth.  David and Jane were married that past November.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 07 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Think this might be the way the family links together:
Nancy LAMONT (b.1824 Ireland-d.1906 N.Y.?)- m.(1850 Ireland) Daniel STEPHENS (c1826-1856 Ireland?) & had:
1. Jane STEVENS (b.Apr.1851 N.Y. or Ireland?-1913) m.(1898 N.Y.) John MARKUS (c1835 Germany or Holland-1910 N.Y.).
2. Joseph STEVENS/BOYD (b.c1855 N.Y. or Ireland?) m.(1880 N.Y.) Katie Read & had: Annie STEVENS (b.May 1881 N.Y.).
m.2 Joseph BOYD (b.1822 Ireland) & went to U.S. c1860 with her 2 children.
3. James BOYD (b.Dec.1865 N.Y.) m.(c1897) Mary.

?Ada STEVENS/BOYD (b.c1890 N.Y.).