Author Topic: Middle name of Corscaden  (Read 2736 times)

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Middle name of Corscaden
« on: Sunday 04 November 07 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with the parents of Robert Corscaden Sparham, birth June 1867 Brighton and death December 1867 Brighton.

Jean

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Middle name of Corscaden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 07 06:07 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that your Robert's parents enjoyed choosing unusual names for looks as though he also had a brother Frederick Sparkman Sparham (Brighton  2b 233)  born in the September quarter of 1865.   

I'll be interested to see what you eventually find out about this family from the 1871 or later censuses, for this choice of unusual names looks like those that may have been used by circus people.

Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 07 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Forget my musings over circus people, a Frederick Sparham of the right age appears as a wine clerk on the 1881 Brighton census.   In the same 1881 census but at another address, there is also a Brighton born wine merchant called Charles Sparham with his wife Louisa and 25 year old daughter Kate E Sparham.

They seem like a likely family to be Fredeick's parents, and if Frederick's more unusual middle name is anything to by, also your Roberts.

Roy G

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 07 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Is there a connection with your other post, Jean?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,266118.msg1509700.html#msg1509700

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 07 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Having re-read your other thread, I'm sure there is.

I'm afraid it's time to buy another certificate! That will give the parents' names.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 07 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD says Charles Sparham of Brighton married Louisa Weller in  the September quarter of 1848.
I believe Free BMD also gives their daughter's middle name as Eunice.

None of the family appear on the IGI covering Brighton, do you think they were non conformist?

Perhaps someone will look them up on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census for you and you can take it from there.

Roy G

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 07 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I think you may have to go for the purchase of a certificate after all, because in looking for the baptism of Charles Sparham on the IGI in Brighton circa 1825, I found another "Sparkman" Sparham
 (who would have thought there could have been more than one?)

RACHEL SPARKMAN SPARRHAM baptised  28 SEP 1828   Saint Nicholas, Brighton,
 Parents: :  THOMAS SPARRHAM and RACHEL.

Although there is no baptism for Charles listed, hopefully this family with Charles as their only son (aged 15) will appear on the 1841 census.  If he has brothers, the family name of Sparkman could also be perpetuated by one of them instead.  Fingers crossed that Charles was an only son and somewhere along this particular family line the middle name Corscaden also turns up.

Roy G

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 November 07 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roy and Meles

We have got halfway to solving this little query ....  when you mentioned that Frederick Sparham was a wine merchant in 1881. 

Three of the Corscaden relatives were wine merchants and perhaps Frederick's parents worked for them.  So there may not be an actual family connection but rather a good friend connection.

Yes Meles, in a way there is a connection with my other posting, as Robina Corscaden Gamble was the daughter of one of the wine merchants above.  But I still haven't pinpointed Mary Corscaden Shelton.

Jean

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 05:09 GMT (UK) »