Author Topic: 1901 Census Jeannie HUNTER  (Read 5443 times)

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 Census Jeannie HUNTER
« on: Monday 05 November 07 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I might be asking too much, if so, just tell me.

We have two letters from a Jeannie HUNTER written 1917 & 1919 from Lisnafin, Newtownstewart, Co. Tyrone to family in New Zealand. We can tell she was an adult, but do not know if she was married. Someone in the NZ family visited her there during WW1.

I was wondering if this is enough information to try to find her in the census, if someone would be so kind.

She signed herself as a cousin to our FULTON relatives, and if we can identify her, we might be able to clarify the relationships of so many of our Fulton families. They intermarried quite a bit and it's a real headache, since they often use the same names. I can't tell you how many William Fultons are in this line!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kathleen
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

England - Somerset: Chivers, Lintern, Memory; Tefft

Ireland - Co. Tyrone: McElrea, Fulton, Forsythe

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census Jeannie HUNTER
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 07 22:14 GMT (UK) »
A Jeannie HUNTER of Lisnafin signed Ulster Covenant in 1912 if you go on to PRONI site and put in Hunter (surname) & Lisnafin (address) 5 Hunters come up: Jeannie, Andrew, A.J., W.J. & Eliza. Click on link on right side to see the actual signatures (you can then compare Jeannie's signature there to writing in letter).
www.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenantsearch
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 07 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Great idea! I think I'm safe in assuming either her father or husband is Andrew Hunter, as they signed at the same location and she witnessed his signature. There's another clue.

Thanks.
England - Todmorden/Burnley: Cooper/Berry, Horsfall, Greenwood, Kershaw, Strachan, Hargreaves, Platt, Barcroft, Hamer. Derby, Staffs: Grimley, Ison.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 07 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Just a guess but perhaps Andrew Hunter was married to Eliza Hunter as both used their mark.

Yes, I was correct. Decided to look at IGI before posting this and.....
Andrew John Hunter born 11 Feb.1879 Lisnefin Co. Tyrone son of Andrew Hunter and Eliza Fulton!

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha - we must have been sharing bandwidth! Yes, I think that's the answer. Of course, there are no marriages for Andrew and Eliza. Can't win them all.

Some background: We had no clue to our ggm's family. She was Isabella Fulton, dtr of William and Mary Ann (nee Fulton) and married William Fulton, son of William Fulton. Recently, we were contacted by a cousin in NZ - descendant of our ggm's sister. Nearby, we found another cousin, descended from the brother. Their family has passed down stories about visiting brothers and sisters in Ireland and it occurred to me this Jeannie might be a clue to them.

My US cousin and I have both been to Newtownstewart, we've had help from very nice people there, but we never hit the correct Fulton family. It's so difficult to link them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Of course, there are no marriages for Andrew and Eliza. Can't win them all.
No marriage?- where have you looked? Civil registers? Church records?

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I meant none at familysearch.org.

Today, my NZ cousin sent me the following (from emeraldancestors.com) which is a possible:

Entry Details      
Record Type    Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage    17 Jan 1878   
Groom Name    andrew HUNTER    
Bride Name    eliza FULTON
Church    Ardstraw Church of Ireland
Parish    Ardstraw
Civil District    Strabane
County    Tyrone

With these names being so common, I know better than to jump up and down just yet. So far, the only Eliza (with variations) Fulton birth that comes up is from 1864, and that would make her far too young for this marriage.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland only started 1864 so 1) you will not get a birth certificate for Eliza Fulton m.1878 and 2) most Irish birth records 1864-c1882 on IGI are taken from civil records.
Most Irish marriages are not listed on IGI so just because the marriage doesn't appears there does not mean it did not exist.

Offline kaperc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Ah, yes. I'm usually working with records in England, which start 1837. I forgot.

Christenings, then?