Author Topic: Daniel FRENCH of Lanark  (Read 4452 times)

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel FRENCH of Lanark
« on: Monday 05 November 07 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

can anyone help me with a check on a Daniel French (middle name possibly McAlpine) born 1812 in Lanark.

I have seen a number of Ancestry.Com entries on him which have him baptised on 16 March 1812, son of Daniel French and Janet McKay.

Daniel French and Janet McKay married in Lanark on 31 July 1808 according to Scotland's People but I can find no record there of any children to them, so I'm wondering where the Ancestry references came from.

I do have a record of Daniel Jr. marrying an Isobel Whitton on 30 January 1831. In about 1841 they arrived in Sydney with two children.

The Ancestry material takes Daniel's people back three more generations (via Daniel French/Janet McKay - DanielFrench/Margaret Weir - William French/Elizabeth Calderhead - Daniel French/Margaret Gillfillen). I've seen SP parish records on those marriages and births. But I can't be anywhere near confident about a link without some official record of the Daniel of 1812 and his parents.

Any suggestions will be most gratefully received.

GazT :)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel FRENCH of Lanark
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I would imagine the birth details i.e. date, parents would have come from his death certificate.   I note that 2 people have submitted details on ancestry - one has the birthdate as 23/6/1812 and the other as 16/3/1812.   However, since he is shown as died 16/3/1872 I suspect the first date is more likely to be correct.   The person who submitted the 23/6/1812 date only submitted the info. 16/10/2007 - I would suggest you e-mail this person direct as their e-mail address is given.   Since this appears to be in Australia I would imagine they have the death certificate details which would thus confirm the link for you.

The IGI shows one birth entry to Daniel French and Janet McKay i.e. Margaret b.1/5/1809 Lanark - 1841 Census Lanark shows 2 likely sons i.e. James 15 (rounded down) and Thomas 13.   In 1851 Daniel is living with son James shown as 29 i.e. bc.1822.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

thanks for your good advice. Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I've been overseas. I'll do as you suggest and see if I can track down that person with the certificate.  If anything comes of it, I'll let you know.

Gazt

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 23:19 GMT (UK) »
The BVRI records show one child
Margaret French born 3rd April 1809 and christened on the 1st of May 1809 in Lanark. The parents are listed as Daniel French and Jean McKay (Jean and Janet are interchangeable)

Offline BJF

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 January 11 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Dear all
Daniel French is one of my ancestors (I am a French living in Australia).  Did you manage to verify all the data you've been discussing? I'd be keen to trace Daniel as far as I can.
Warmly
BJF

Offline bishfish

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 May 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi im am a descendant  of daniel french living in australia, i am new to family research and  not sure if you want information prior to 1788 or information on what happened to daniel french.  I have found information on the monaro pioneer project website. They have a wealth of information on the french family and others.  I hope this helps

Text: The information in this record has come from the MonaroPioneers Database as a result of contributions from themany generous supporters of the Monaro Pioneers project.This can be copied for personal or non-commercial purposesonly.

Name: Daniel McAlpine FRENCH
Given Name: Daniel McAlpine
Surname: French
Sex: M
Birth: 23 Jun 1812 in Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Death: 16 Mar 1872 in Tumut, NSW 1
Burial: 17 Mar 1872 Tumut Cemetery, NSW 2
Note: Daniel FRENCH and Isabella WHITTON arrived in Australia onthe "Argylshire" on the 12/12/1840, with 2 children Williamage 6yrs, and Daniel aged 2 yrs. William was born in"Lanarkshire" on the banks of the Bonny Clyde (according tothe family bible) in 1833. Both parents Daniel and Isabella were born in 1812.Daniel died aged 60 years from injuries he received afterbeing thrown form a horse

Father: Daniel FRENCH b: 19 Mar 1788 in Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland 
Mother: Janet MCKAY b: 1 Oct 1787 in Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Marriage 1 Isabella WHITTON b: 30 Oct 1812 in Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Married: 30 Jan 1831 in Lanark, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Children
They had 8 children dates of birth are listed on the site. Daniel remarried after his first wife died.

Marriage 2 Sarah HERN b: 1813 in Saintfield, County Down, Ireland
Married: 1854 in Presbyterian Church, Tumut, NSW 3
They had one Child together

Offline GazT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bishfish,

thanks for your reply. My original query was about five years ago and I have filled in many of the holes since then, thanks largely to the Monaro Pioneers Project.

Good luck with your research.

GazT