Author Topic: Michael Murphy  (Read 2490 times)

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael Murphy
« on: Tuesday 06 November 07 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please point me in the right direction? I am trying to find info concerning Michael Murphy, born c1758, supposedly in Wexford. He became a marine and sailed on the Sirius, with the First Fleet to Australia. I can track him from there, but cannot find anything prior to his naval career. :'( :'( :'(
I know it is a long shot, but if anyone can provide me with direction to find him, it would be greatly appreciated. ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Julie
Lancashire, England: Barlow, Butterworth, Clegg,  Lord, Howarth, Morris, Peak, Pickup, Walker, Wilkinson.
Ayrshire Scotland: Dyet, Irvine.
Cornwall England: Cock.
Wexford Ireland:  Murphy.

Offline Sordibub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Murphy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 07 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie

Murphy is an extremely common Wexford name. In addition to that, most parishes in Wexford do not have records going back to the 1700's. You could take a look at my Kilmore website. Parish baptismal records from 1752-1785 are on-line on this site.
While Murphy was the most prolific name for Kilmore births between 1752 and 1785, there doesn't seem to have been a Michael Murphy born in Kilmore around your date. There were, however, two Murphy births where the child's name is illegible around your date...

? Murphy, born 19 June 1753
? Murphy, born 9 January 1756

You can check out the website...

www.kilmoregenealogy.com

Best wishes
Wexford & Donegal