Author Topic: Death of mountaineer A. Ernest Maylard in Peebles (1947)  (Read 10793 times)

Offline J from Canada

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Death of mountaineer A. Ernest Maylard in Peebles (1947)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 October 09 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!

Thank you very much for letting me know about this. I have located this item on ebay. I live in Canada but, very strangely, I am travelling to Wales and England (leaving in about two hours) for one week and will be in London on October 30, 31, Nov 1 and 2.  I would very much like to purchase this item since it is by and about my ancestors. Since bidding has not yet begun, would there be any way you would consider allowing me to buy it outright from you? I would be very grateful since I would purchasing it for its family history connections.

Best regards,
Joanna
Loweth- Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Lincolnshire
German- Cambridgeshire; Gay- Middlesex, Suffolk, Norfolk;  Inwood- Middlesex
Maylard- Oxfordshire, Middlesex;  Seaton-Huntingdonshire; Bellamy- Northamptonshire, Leicestershire; Gale- Surrey; Brinkley- Cambridgeshire;
Love- Surrey, Middlesex;  Rhodes- Surrey; Freer/Frear- Cambridgeshire
Harmer- Surrey; Avery- Middlesex; Sturgeon- Middlesex
Payne- Northamptonshire, Lancashire; Screech- Devon; Pethick- Devon;

Offline eveeanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of mountaineer A. Ernest Maylard in Peebles (1947)
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 January 11 16:54 GMT (UK) »
It sounds then as if Kings Muir just be a suburb then and an area referred to locally rather than an established or incorporated town, is that right?

Joanna
Kingsmuir is on the south side of the river Tweed in Peebles.  A large house there may have been the home of Ernest Maylard - who was a contemporary of my grandfather in the Scottish Mountaineering Club.  It became a hotel for a while but is again in private ownership.  The area of Kingsmuir was built up in around the 1920s - 40s, but the name was retained in the local street names.

I have not come across any Maylards in the town