Author Topic: DOUGLAS, Scotland/Cumberland, All dates  (Read 5787 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DOUGLAS, Scotland/Cumberland, All dates
« on: Wednesday 29 December 04 18:01 GMT (UK) »
HI
looking for info on any Douglas family from Scotland and Cumberland
audrey

Offline Irene Lilian Hunt

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DOUGLAS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking for Douglas'.

In particular a Pearce Douglas born c1885 the son of Alexander Douglas and Mary Ann Clements.

Is this familiar?
NORFOLK: Spinks, Clay, Balls, Fife, Whistler, Head, Child, Youngs, Rising, Millican
SOMERSET:  Clay, Crosse, Oldfield, Harding, Curry
SHROPSHIRE:  Hunt, Cox, Bloore, Blantern, Cooke
FLINTSHIRE: Hunt, Mather, Cooke
KENT: Barwick, Jarman, Pearce, Graves, Beane, Scales
ARMAGH:  McArdle
TIPPERARY:  Beven/Bevens/Bevins, Cleary, Ryan
OFFALY: Cleary
GERMANY:  Conrades, Busse, Habenicht, Appuhn, Hage, Hillmer, Hernig, Wockener, Meyer, Schnranz
ESSEX:  Smith, Page

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Ireene
my Douglas family goes back to 1835  and I havent come accross those names in my line
good luck
audrey

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 04 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a particular interest in the Douglases, but of all the lines in my ancestry, it's the one I know least about. The reason being that my G-grandfather, William John Douglas 1871-1950 came from Ireland (probably county Down), and it's not the easiest palce to research.

He did live for a few years in the north-east of England, marrying Agnes Carmichael on 9th. January 1901 in Tynemouth District, Northumberland.
Within a couple of years they had moved to Glasgow. I don't think he had any children in England, or any siblings at all. His father Archibald Douglas may not have left Ireland.

See  my data:       http://www.gencircles.com/users/bonjedward/7/data/35

The Douglases were of course a very powerful Borders family, going back to the time of Robert the Bruce. Many Borders families were either deported to Ireland after the Union of the Crowns in 1603, or chose to move there as the new regime was not to their liking. Many subsequently emigrated to America, ending up in places like the Appalachian mountains, where they became known as the Scots-Irish. From Border reivers to Ulster Scots to feuding hillbillies - a bit of a pattern there, if you ask me!
I saw a website a while bac ktha
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 04 17:24 GMT (UK) »
David
I am very interested in what you had to say about your Douglas Family my G.grandmother Mary Douglas was born abt 1834 always thought she was Scotch but never been able to trace the marriage of my Great grandparents about 1852 she married John Sewell , 1 of John and Marys sons left Carlisle Cumberland abt 1870-1880 to work in the shipyards in Wallsend  with a Douglas don't know which one, the Sewell family are very confusing because they all had many sons and called them JOHN,WILLIAM,JAMES and ROBERT my dad was called David never new why because there had been no Davids in the Sewell family so I presume its from the Douglas side  in 1830 my dads and 2 brothers left Maryport where they were born and came to Tyneside where I now live
does any of this ring any Bel's
audrey

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Re: DOUGLAS, Scotland/Cumberland, All dates
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 04 10:40 GMT (UK) »
No bells ringing, really, except the Wallsend connection, because I know so little about the Douglas branch.  William John Douglas's father was Archibald Douglas, labourer, and his mother Margaret Jane Wray (also Irish). They may not have been married, as two different husbands are listed on her death cert., neither of them being a Douglas. Her second marriage was in Port Glasgow in 1884. A lot of Irish emigrants ended up living in Port Glasgow, which was where they presumably arrived from Ireland. Around the turn of the century William John Douglas was living in Wallsend, as an "iron ship's plater". He married Agnes Carmichael in 1901; though born in Hebburn, Durham, both parents were Scottish, and had moved between Clydeside (incl. Greenock - next to Port Glasgow) and Tyneside for decades, working in the shipyards. So the families may have known each other from Port Glasgow, or maybe the Scots just stuck together.

William and his wife were Baptist Brethren (this may have been her influence).

It's possible William went to work in Wallsend because he had Douglas relatives there, but on the other hand it could just be coincidence - lots of Scots and Irish were in shipbuilding, and I imagine they moved around looking for work.

Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline EDO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DOUGLAS, Scotland/Cumberland, All dates
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Audrey,

Iwould be pleased to learn of any further information on this DOUGLAS line.
1 John DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1833 Morayshire, SCT
.. +Anne ASHER b: Abt. 1835 Morayshire, SCT m: Abt. 1855
... 2 John Edward Martin DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1856
... 2 Jessie DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1857
... 2 Alexander DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1858 Armidale, NSW, AUS d: 12 February 1922 Brisbane, QLD
....... +Ada Eugenie EDMONDS b: 27 January 1858 24 Norton Street, Surrey Hills, Sydney, NSW, AUS m: 17 December 1884 Brisbane, QLD Father: George Gilbert EDMONDS Mother: Eliza Maria COTTRELL d: Abt. December 1954 Brisbane, QLD
........ 3 George Alexander Clarence DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1885 Maclean, NSW, AUS d: 17 January 1966 Chermside Hospital, Brisbane, QLD
............ +Annie Clark Ewing BLACK b: Abt. 1895 AUS m: 7 October 1914 QLD
........ 3 Annie Eugenie [Ann] DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1887 Maclean, NSW, AUS d: 4 June 1972 Brisbane, QLD
........ 3 John McCheyne DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1888 Hill End, NSW, AUS d: Abt. 1947 Brisbane, QLD
............ +Mary Isabella BIRD b: Abt. 1905 m: 31 August 1921 Brisbane, QLD
........ 3 Walter Mather DOUGLAS b: 28 May 1890 Hill End, NSW, AUS d: 27 April 1971 Brisbane, QLD
............ +Meta BROOKES b: 29 October 1899 QLD, AUS m: 12 March 1924 Brisbane, QLD
........ 3 Hedley Vicars DOUGLAS b: 4 April 1892 NSW, AUS
........ 3 William Joseph Fletcher DOUGLAS b: 20 May 1894 QLD, AUS d: 30 April 1947 Brisbane, QLD, AUS
............ +Frances m W J F Douglas b: Abt. 1910 m: Abt. 1931
........ 3 Ralph Edmonds DOUGLAS b: 23 April 1896 QLD, AUS
... 2 Ann DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1860
... 2 James DOUGLAS b: Abt. 1862

Offline smakcanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • searching Irish roots with Scottish branches
    • View Profile
Re: DOUGLAS, Ireland
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 16:52 BST (UK) »
Looking for ascendants of Eliza Douglas (1752-1820) m. Thomas Kenny (1754-1818. Eliza may have been dau of James Douglass & his father may have been William Douglass, who were both from Scotland and lived in Ballymena area of Co. Antrim.

See topic on ANTRIM board:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,619905
Kenny, Gault, Douglas and Devlin, Dolan, Magrenra