Author Topic: Help with a photo  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Mggirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a photo
« on: Friday 09 November 07 19:16 GMT (UK) »
My dad died nearly 3 years ago and mum has decided to enlist my help in  tackling the loft. 

Among the photos is one I'm hoping SKS might be able to suggest ways of working out what this photo is all about.

Unable to attach the photo as it's too large, but you should be able to see it at http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/6955319

The gentleman 2nd on the right, front row is my paternal grandfather.
Frank Sidney CHALLIS, born in Sawston in 1898.

The photographer's imprinted mark (bottom rhs) is Scott & Wilkinson, Cambridge.  No other marks or writing appear on the front or the back of the cardboard backing.  Sizewise it's about A4 on an A3 backing.

In trying to date the photo, I noticed he doesn't have a wedding ring, which should put it before 1924.

To the best of my knowledge, he was a Leather Factory foreman for the majority of life; initially in Sawston and laterly in Oxfordshire (post 1939 approx)

It looks like a group linked to the army in some way, given the gentleman taking centre stage.

Vague comments I remembermy dad making about his dad doing war work, but given my dad wasn't born until '33 I'd assumed that would be WW2.

Who could they be ?
How could I find out and where do I start ?

Any hints would be gratefully received.

TIA
MGgirl
CAM : CHALLIS- Sawston/Stapleford, HOWE, NUNN - Whittlesford, FREESTONE

OXF - BREAKSPEAR- South Leigh, EVANS - Eynsham, HATHAWAY - Eynsham, HARPER/HARPUR - Eynsham, PHIPPS- South Leigh-Eynsham-Cogges,RICHAW - South Leigh, SMITH - Eynsham, WILLETT - Cogges

SFK - GODDEN

SRY - FREESTONE

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a photo
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 07 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi MG,

From what I can see of it the photograph would appear to have been taken either towards the latter stages of the First World War or shortly after it. The hair style and attire of the two women would, for me anyway, place it having been during those periods.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Mggirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a photo
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 November 07 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi O.R

Thanks for taking the time to look at the photo.

The more I look at, the more I wonder if was an end of WW1 photo ?
It would put Frank about 20 which would be about right.

MGgirl
CAM : CHALLIS- Sawston/Stapleford, HOWE, NUNN - Whittlesford, FREESTONE

OXF - BREAKSPEAR- South Leigh, EVANS - Eynsham, HATHAWAY - Eynsham, HARPER/HARPUR - Eynsham, PHIPPS- South Leigh-Eynsham-Cogges,RICHAW - South Leigh, SMITH - Eynsham, WILLETT - Cogges

SFK - GODDEN

SRY - FREESTONE