Author Topic: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe  (Read 36466 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe
« Reply #36 on: Monday 19 October 09 13:39 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi, I had always thought that names like Abraham, Moses etc were bible names, therefore C of E?
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline beeb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 October 09 07:05 BST (UK) »
Rebekahm you ask Casalguidi about biblical names such as Abraham and Moses, I hope you will excuse me for jumping in.   Baptists, Methodists, Catholic, Lutheran etc., all Christian faiths in fact would use the bible and be familiar with those names even when they couldn't read because they would listen to sermons and bible readings by priests and other church leaders and hear names like Aaron, Adam, Deborah, Rebecca, Sarah, Samuel & Samson etc.   The Jews used the names from the Old Testament too of course.
In my family the Goldsmiths who I thought might be Jewish turned out to be Primitive or Particular Baptists and they  used names like Moses and Aaron from the Old Testament and Thomas from the New.
I hope this is helpful to you,
Brenda

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 October 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
 :D   thanks Brenda, Ive made a note of that, very interesting!  x
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 08 November 09 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone whose posted on this thread, hope you are all well.
On a more sombre note  does anyone have a death date for either Thomas or Kezia, i dont seem to be able to find them.
Many thanks, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire
Pennell, thanet, Faversham

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Shane, I don't have birth or death dates for either Thomas or Kezia Goldsmith, think perhaps early 1790's for births, would like that information myself and parents, siblings, grandparents etc.
Not much research going on here, preparing to move shortly.  Summer has arrived in South Australia already with temperatures in high 30s all week and I hate it.
Best wishes to all, Brenda

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda, hope the move goes well, weather is getting a bit chilly now here in not so sunny canterbury  :( but im not jealous, much.
good luck, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 10 November 09 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if these have already been posted?
Kezia townsend christining 13 june 1794 ripe parish church sussex
marriage to thomas 12 oct 1811 ripe parish church sussex.
would anyone know if these records are available to view at the church or some other archive.
many thanks shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire

Offline beeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 07:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane, thanks for that information.   Look I don't think you would really enjoy temps like  the 39 degrees today, but if I could bottle some heat I would send it to you.
I went to see owners of my next home today,  the wife mentioned that she had lived in many previous houses and moved around a lot, I said you must have a touch of Gypsy in you and could have fallen over backward when she said "well I do, my family are Boswells".  I thought I was joking, so was very surprised, I told her that I also had Travellers in my family so we had an extra hug for that.   She also thought I had a slight similarity to her mother, but that might just have been shape of face and grey hair !!
By the way I say "Travellers" because I am not sure if the Stones are Rom, can you confirm that Shane ?
Sending "warmest" greetings,
Brenda

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda, it seems to me that it is nearly impossible to say for certain that they were rom, but all the evidence is more in favour than against. They lived in well known gypsy areas, married into gypsy families and carried out trades associated with gypsies, many of their descendents carried on those ways. Because sittingbourne is a small and close knit community it is well known who comes from "travelling" stock and the local stone family is one of them. As ive said before there are still many branches of our family that still live in caravans but i believe my family is the last that carry the goldsmith name :( . But half of my immediate family have taken up housing and who knows what their granchildren will know of their heritage in 30 years time!
On a happier note i'll be making a visit to sussex in the near future and hopefuly will have the parents of thomas and a few more tidbits to go on.
Keep the aircon on ;) and good luck with the move.
shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire