Author Topic: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe  (Read 36480 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsmiths of Hellingly/Stones of Hythe
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 11 November 09 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Re: the Stones.  If anyone has Priscilla Stone born 1836 in canterbury, daughter of gypsies Thomas & Elizabeth, we are distantly related.  Priscilla, who was a dealer in old clothes, married Adam Roberts born 1830.  Adam is my direct ancestor Samson Roberts brother. Priscilla and Adam had 10 children that I know of.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 16 November 09 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Just recieved an email from east sussex archives.

"I have searched the relevant Ripe marriage register and I can confirm that Thomas Goldsmith of Ripe, bachelor (mark) and Kezia Townsend of Ripe, spinster (mark) were married by banns on 12 Oct 1811, witnessed by Walter Townsend and Frances Bishop (mark)" (ref PAR 462/1/1/4).

Anyone have any details on the witnesses!

thanks, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire
Pennell, thanet, Faversham

Offline Tomscot

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 16:03 GMT (UK) »
My Grt/grt/ Grandmother was Ann Goldsmith b 29/02/1824  in Hailsham, her father was Joseph Goldsmith b 16/09/1781 also of Hailsham, his  wife was Ann Souton b 21/08/1786 in Stayning. They were married on the 22/03/1804 Lewes. Ann's Siblings were.
                              Elizabeth b 1817 Hailsham.
                              Thomas   b  1809 Hailsham.
                               Reuben  b   1812 Hailsham.
                               Sarah     b   1818 Hailsham.
Joseph's Father was Thomas Goldsmith b 02/10/1757 in Herstmonceux he married Priscilla Green in Hailsham on the 04/06/1780. I do not have any information on Pricilla at all, so any info on her would be most welcome.
   Thomas's Father was George Goldsmith b 14/01/1724 in Wartling,he married Sarah Hover/ Hopher 21/04/1747 in Herstmonceux, Sarah was born in Warbleton in 1721. I have been unable to trace any children of this marriage as yet.
   George's father was James Goldsmith b 26/04/1696 in Wartling married Elizabeth Potter in Wartling on the 16/02/1719, I have no info on Elizabeth except that she died on the 24/01/1744 in Wartling, again I have no record of children.
   George's father Thomas Goldsmith married Elizabeth West 21/04/1696 in Lewes. That is all the information I have on my branch of the Goldsmith tree, I would be most gratfull for any information Ref the above.

Kind regards
                                                                                              Tomscot

Sussex,Prodger,Goldsmith,Woods,Roberts, Pankhurst, Green,Souton,Lamper,Lower,Reeds,Turner,Hover,Bennet,Elliard,Peyt,Potter,West,Jeffrey, English,Seal, Clark,Hill,Salter, Carpenter,Blackman,Ince,Booker,Lacy,Acton,Marten,Cressey,Driver,Sowter,Young,Mitchell. Northumberland,Richardson. Northamptonshire, Lines,Pittom,Ward,Hall.Norfolk,Lake,Barnard,Spinks,Stephens,Griston,Gooch, Olley Holman.London Lake.Somerset, Rendell.Scotland, Muir, Clark,Aitken,

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 25 November 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi tomscot, without the parentage of my thomas i dont think we'll be able to connect our families, im hoping to have a visit to the sussex records office early next year to see if i can get through the brick wall !
thanks, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 01 December 09 14:07 GMT (UK) »
(deleted, sorry answered old post).
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline beeb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 26 February 10 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all, this subject seems to have gone cold - is it the weather ???   Did you manage to get to Sussex yet Shane or has the snow kept you home - I wouldn't blame you for that.   I have moved to new house and pretty much settled in now.   Nothing further on our search for ancestors of Moses Goldsmith and Sarah Stone sadly, but let us hope that this year we can dig up a few more ancestors.
With best wishes for 2010 to all,
Brenda

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 26 February 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
Glad to hear the move went well, i've not had time to go to to sussex yet but hopefully i will soon, i've recently made contact with a direct descendent of elvy baker, stephen bakers sister, he live in canada, hopefully i can find out which member of his family emigrated, i'll let you know.
By the way the snow has finally gone from Kent only to be replaced with non stop rain!! Happy Days.
shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire

Offline beeb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear from you Shane.   We could do with some rain here in South Australia, flooding in Queensland, but not a drop here.
I meant to ask before, is your Stephen Baker related at all to Roger Baker's travelling family which includes Scamps ?   I wrote to him, pre computers, for a long while, he was searching for Bakers in Canterbury and so was I, he was very good in giving me census details of my Bakers, we never found a connection and I have no knowledge that mine were travellers, my Stephen was an Ag.lab in Hoath before moving to Canterbury, his father John was likewise but born in Herne as was his father.   While in Canterbury some of my Stephen's sons were hawkers as youngsters, but I think it was just a job they could do to earn a bob or two.   Oddly my gf Albert Baker was a partner in a  Marine Store which also appears as a Gypsy occupation,in Sittingbourne, but no suggestion he was a traveller.
I've been reading up, but none the wiser, about DNA tests and wondering whether it might be worthwhile having done, have you any thoughts on these tests ?   Has anyone reading this thread had it done and was it worth it ?  I'd be glad of any information.
Best wishes Shane and to all,
Brenda

Offline shaneooo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda
they are related but for the life of me i cant remember what the connection is!
My father knows quite a few baker/scamp families in orpington area who are related, he has always said that the bakers were scamps originally, there is also a baker scamp marriage but again i cant rember who it was, i will have a look and get back to you, i think the key to connecting our bakers is to find john c1824 family, the witnesses at his wedding being james and margaret baker are most likely brother and sister in law, finding these and john on the 1861 will be helpful but as of yet no luck.
there is a DNA project just for travellers, it test for the yhaplo gene ( or something like that) but only tells you if you descend from india, not sure what the other benefits of having it tested are, hopefully someone can explain in more detail.
talk soon, shane.
Baker, kent
Goldsmith, kent
Perfect, kent
Rattigan, moate eire