Author Topic: Help with my Old Soldier please  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my Old Soldier please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 March 09 01:27 GMT (UK) »
I never realised how much like Geordie his son John looked.

He was the boss of the family after Greta!

You are right there!  My Mum always said that Wee Geordie was the Boss of the family!
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline Malin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 March 09 01:35 GMT (UK) »
From my memories of both Greta and Geordie, I think there was a degree of give and take.

There is a picture somewhere of John Stewart in the 3rd Duntocher scouts showing him wearing a kilt and they look so much alike.

Offline bubs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 March 09 08:42 GMT (UK) »
still learning   Bubs

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 March 09 11:28 GMT (UK) »

Lydart wrote:

...what was the use of 'swagger sticks' ... or just 'for show' !!

Nowadays, just for show, but originally as a symbol of authority. They are usually made of cane or malacca. Cavalry officers carry riding crops instead of swagger sticks.

Debbie's uncle would have got into quite a lot of trouble if he'd been found carrying one in public, but it does set off his HLI uniform!

BTW. When David Niven volunteered for the army at the beginning of the war, he insisted on joining a Scottish regiment. When asked - 'Which regiment?' He replied - 'Anything but the HLI'.....Which regiment do you think he was posted to?  :)

Richard

This is actually a "Walking Out Cane" and no self respecting private soldier or junior NCO would have been seen without one from the mid - late 19th century until WW2.

They were there to add a bit of "swank" to the young soldier and were an affectation, although quite normal and  semi official. They had to be bought by the soldier himself, and were not issued.

Many variants are found, some with Regimental Crests or badges, some just plain topped.

He would certainly NOT have been in trouble for carrying one, and they can be seen in many period photos.

Officers canes are more plain and invariably leather covered ("can't face a German machine gun without my stick!" Lt George 1917), although some were of the plain Malacca mentioned.  Officers in WW1 also quite often carried a walking stick with silver embellishments.

The term "Swagger Stick" has come to mean (with civvies -  ::) )any of the above; and he RSM's Pace Stick, which apart form being the symbol of a "Drill Pig" (a Sgt Major trained in the teaching of drill) was used to measure the correct length of ones pace on the march, and especially for ceremonial duties practice.

A number of infantry officers were found with riding crops, as up until just before WW2, ANY officer was expected to provide his own horse at his own expense. This is why many period pics of soldiers on the march have a mounted officer at the front.

A number of officers still carry canes, and the Pace Stick of the "Drill Pig" is very much still extant, and they still very much symbols of rank.

The officers cane is still very useful in pointing out errant soldiers to the NCO's!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline bubs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 March 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
sorry didnt read properly in the first place he should have had army colors  BUBS