Author Topic: CARVER/CALVER/CARVILL Potton  (Read 6898 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CARVER/CALVER/CARVILL Potton
« on: Saturday 10 November 07 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Having I think linked the Dunton Carvers back (and most likely forwards to Wrestlingworth) through Sutton to Potton I need to attempt to make sense of them to help make sure I'm on the right track!

In Potton I have so far

7th Jan 1609 Marriage of Peter Carvill to Joan Ancell
26th Jun 1614 Baptism of Jane d of Peter Carver
21st Feb 1619 Burial of Eliz Carver
6th Feb 1620 Baptism of Jane d of Peter Carver
10th May 1620 Burial Agnes(Annis) d Peter Carver
22nd Oct 1622 Baptism of Jn s of Peter Carver
16th Mar 1623 Burial Joane Carver
31st May 1623 Burial Jn s Peter Carver
7th Jun 1623 Marriage Peter Carver to Alice Inway
19th Dec 1624 Burial Eliz d Peter Carver
16 Dec 1625 Baptism Wm s Peter Carver

Do you think I'm on the right track thinking it is the same Peter who marries Joan and Alice? Peter and Alice go on to have several more children the last I can see being Deborah Baptised 2nd Feb 1644. A Peter was buried 19th Feb 1646 and I can't see another Peter burial to imply there were two of them. I haven't yet found a burial for Alice - anyone see one?

All the boys seem to have died young except William, who goes on to have children in Potton overlapping with his father - either William started young or he is actually a late baptism for Peter and Joan rather than Peter and Alice. Given the later laisse faire attitude to baptisms  my Carvers had this seems quite likely. I can't find a marriage for William - c 1838, the first child I can see Ann was baptised April 1639. Baptisms for Annis(Agnes) or Elizabeth under any of the known variants of Carver seem to be missing. Also wondering if one of the Janes should be Joan as there is a burial for Joan Carver in 1651? There is a Joan daughter of William baptised 1648 but I would have thought burial of such a young child would say 'd of William'?

Any thoughts or extra info most welcome :D

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER/CALVER/CARVILL Potton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Just to show how I'm linking the above Potton lot to Sutton and Dunton

There is a Peter son of Wm Carver baptised Potton 29th Jan 1644. A Peter Carvill then marries Joan Russell in Sutton 6 Oct 1681 and this couple go on to have 3 Carver children in Sutton including William who I am taking to be the one who married Ann ?? somewhere and died in Dunton in 1759. I cannot see another candidate for Peter or William.

Jan ;)

ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 21:48 GMT (UK) »
I'll take a look over the next few days Jan (there's quite a bit of checking and cross referencing required as I'm sure you know!) but I wouldn't be offended if anyone (sorry John, someone) else jumped in first!

This looks to be a pretty major project where one of our world renowned team efforts is required.

As a starter: I don't think that a laissez faire attitude to baptisms in the 17/1800s can be applied back to the 1620s. More likely to be deficiencies in the parish register. How complete is the Potton register - do you have the transcript?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 07 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David
Look forward to hearing your always helpful thoughts. I'm not sure how complete the Potton registers are - I don't have the transcripts, only what I copied down from them in the Bedford RO when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I have to admit I was so excited to be there for the first time that I was attempting to follow up too many lines - any deficiency is quite likely to be in my copying rather than in the actual registers! However the IGI only has one William (baptised 1625) listed.
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 07 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

I've been through Potton register too, as that's where my Merrills started, but mine fizzle at around 1640 when the head of the line must have pitched up there from somewhere else. His name was John!

Did you get William Cavell son of Peter baptised 2 May 1611? Oh expletive! NBI giving me an error message. It was working earlier today. Hope disc1 isn't knackered again. It's a ridiculous system where disc 1 has to be in the drive for it to work, even though it's downloaded onto the hard drive. So I can't tell if this William died.

More later!

David

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 07 10:53 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't get that one - another variation I've not thought of. If he lived he would be a better age for having children in 1639! If he lived he maybe indicates (though not necessarily as I have other families who definitely have 2 living children of same name) there were 2 Peters - one marrying Joan, the other Alice. If you get your NBI working maybe you could check if there is a Peter death other than the 1646 one please?

Cheers
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 07 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

NBI working again, lightly rubbed some toothpaste over the disc, seems to have done the trick!

The only William Carver or variation burial that I can see in Potton in the 1600s was on 9 Oct 1677. Begs the question as to what happened to William baptised in 1625!

David

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 07 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Well for some reason lost in the mists of time I have on record a death for a William Carver in Sandy in 1700. He appears to have married Elizabeth Lawford in Sandy in 1693 and they seem to have had one child Judith baptised 1694. Elizabeth remarries to William Bone in 1701. If he is the William baptised 1625 it would make him 68 at what appears to be a first marriage but I can't see another candidate for him. There is no other Carver or variation activity in Sandy upto 1812 that I can see.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 07 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

A William Carver married Margaret Usher in Southill on 11 Feb 1655/6 (this marriage was also inserted in Old Warden parish register under the same date). This was the first Carver entry in Southill (and Old Warden), and the next wasn’t until 1712 with the burial of an infant daughter of Thomas, a dissident. A William Carver son of William was baptised in Old Warden on 1 April 1664, and there was a burial of a William Carver in OW on 20 Dec 1666 (no extra detail but adjacent entries indicated if children, so I’m assuming this was William senior). I can’t see what happened to Margaret or William jun. There were no other entries in either Old Warden or Southill at this time.

I'll leave it to you you interprete this! The best is probably "it might be" in the absence of any other details in the PRs

I confirm the burial of a William Carver in Sandy on 30 Aug 1700. There might be a connection between William jun from OW in 1664 and the William who married in Sandy in 1693

There were so few Carvers in Beds in the 1600s I'm sure there must be a link - prior to 1700 the only burials in Beds were Potton, Dean and Swineshead, with single strays in Felmersham, Old Warden and Sandy.

David