Author Topic: The past is a different country. They do things differently there.  (Read 38472 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The past is a different country. They do things differently there.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 12 November 07 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Naw, she's retro, Kath  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Beinning to realise I was a bit deprived...

While a friend was very daring  and went on a package holiday to Rimini, (a novelty in those days), I took her place on a week's fruit-picking 'holiday' in March, Cambridgeshire. 
It cost £4 to stay in a converted army camp for the week and you got free breakfast & evening meals and wages for the work.  Dreams of a lovey time in the open fields were dashed when I was sent to a Smedley's factory where you checked cut green beans going past on a conveyor belt and it was so noisy you couldn't hear what the girl opposite was saying.  I gave up after one day and just stayed at the camp for the rest of the week....... I still can't look a green bean in the eye

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Canonbury (Islington) from 1953 until 1966, and can (honestly) remember someone coming round to light the lovely old gas lamps in the streets.

- lived in Belsize Park in the mid 1960s.
I lived in South Hampstead in the early 70's and Belsize Park was the place we all wanted to live in.

Does anyone remember The Round House (Chalk Farm Road)? In 1971 I went to see Godspell, with David Essex as Jesus and an unknown Jeremy Irons as John the Baptist.

In 1966 there were still spice warehouses in the City, down by the River Thames. I remember going down there and sniffing my way along picking up all the different aromas as I walked.

Jennifer

WHY am I getting lots of unneccessary links showing up on any post I read? When I hover the mouse over them they all show a balloon headed 'contentlink'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Its a gremlin that Trystan is trying to sort out ... patience needed !

Going back to the past ... my first holiday job at the age of 14 or so was at Smiths Crisps ... I stood by a conveyor belt and threw the blue screw of salt into the packets as they passed !   If you got a packet in the 50's with more than one salt ... my apologies ! 
I stuck it for a whole week; then got a job in the local launderette ... much cleaner and more pleasant; I was in charge of putting the wet washed clothes through the driers, so didnt even have to handle the dirty bag wash that people left ... and the families wash was done for free ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 12:50 GMT (UK) »
If you got a packet in the 50's with more than one salt ... my apologies ! 

Accepted,  but who was the person who forgot to put them in  ::) ::) ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Ummm ....

Apologies for that too !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:01 GMT (UK) »
My very first job was on the Christmas post in the December snows of 1861/2. We had a sledge thing to put the parcels in and had to do two deliveries a day plus the parcel one! It was very cold but we had fun.

The next one was as an assistant on the children's wards at the local orthopaedic hospital in the summer. They had teachers during normal term time but employed 4 of us in the summer. I was paid £20 for 6 weeks work  ::)

Gadget

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I also had a job while I was a student in a TB hospital where I had once been a patient, as a childrens ward player supervisor ... the necessary qualification was that you had to have had TB.  I can't remember what I was paid, but it was good money ... enough to keep me in twice weekly theatre tickets for the next term anyway !

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 13:07 GMT (UK) »
My very first job was on the Christmas post in the December snows of 1861/2. We had a sledge thing to put the parcels in and had to do two deliveries a day plus the parcel one! It was very cold but we had fun.
Gadget
Gadget

You really are that old then!!!!??  ::) ::)

My mum remembers helping grandad deliver milk in the snows of 1961/62, she said they had to be very careful on some of the drives not to break the bottles!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....