Author Topic: The past is a different country. They do things differently there.  (Read 38471 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The past is a different country. They do things differently there.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Living in London in the 50's, I remember two old soldiers, both with one leg.  One was a window cleaner, and arrived with a push cart on which he had his ladder and buckets, and he climbed up and down that ladder at a fair rate of knots !

The other man sold muffins ... he also had a cart converted from a bike, with two wheels at the front, with the cart bit on, and one wheel at the back.  How he cycled with just one leg, I have no idea ... unlike the window cleaner, he didnt have a wooden leg with a rubber on the end !  The muffins were hot and wrapped in clothes in the cart, and he'd deliver to your door, supported on crutches and carrying the basket on his head !

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cms

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 November 07 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow. I am amazed at the muffin man in the 50s.
 Truly as someone said, "Queen Victoria died in 1960" !
BATE, Lancashire
CASE, Lancashire
CHILWELL, Warwickshire
DRURY, Prees, Salop
McCOLL, Greenock and Appin
SMEDLEY, Nottingham
ASHWORTH, Buxton

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 November 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
There were four cinemas in Kilburn (now only one) and four in Hampstead (now only one) with names like The Classic, Essoldo, Playhouse, Gaumont.

:-[ :-[ :-[

I went to these - lived in Belsize Park in the mid 1960s.

Now I really feel old  :'(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 November 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Cheer up Gadget,  I must be as old as you, the trick is not to feel that you are (difficult some days I admit!)

;D ;D
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 November 07 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't - it was just reading through the list and seeing places and things that I remember and then looking at the subject line of the thread  :-\

BUT - it was the place to be in the 1960s  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 November 07 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Of course all this happened in the last century  ;D ;D I wonder what people are going to be saying in 2107 about life in this century  :(

I always say that I am so glad I grew up in the 1950/60's I would so hate to be a teenager nowadays.

Jean

McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 November 07 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I always say that I am so glad I grew up in the 1950/60's I would so hate to be a teenager nowadays.

The other day I was trying to explain what a larder was to my 11-year old daughter.  While I think she can grasp that there haven't always been fridges, the idea that her dad lived in a time before fridges were widespread was a bit hard to cope with  ::)

I always remember our first phone number too - and practising saying what my dad said when he answered it -  in case I got the chance to pick up the phone "Downland 3986, Baker speaking"

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:45 GMT (UK) »
My daughters think I lived in the dark ages, in the early 60's we didn't have a phone, car, television, fridge, freezer, microwave, electric washing machine, computer......... how on earth did we manage to live at all????  But we still survived, and enjoyed life too
 :D :D
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
SNAP , Barbara - i was beginning to think that we were the only family who didn't have a phone, Tv, etc., etc. reading this thread  ;D

Gadget