Author Topic: Double Christening.  (Read 1284 times)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Double Christening.
« on: Wednesday 29 December 04 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Is it unusual for a christening to have taken place twice?
In 1850 I have a  child baptised 6/11/1850 and again 22/12/1850. Same name..same parents.  (Perhaps mum fancied the vicar.)

dudjac
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Double Christening.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 December 04 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Was the first baptism a private one? 

Sometimes it will say private or "p" in the baptism register. 

A private baptism would often take place if the child was not expected to survive and then a later baptism in the actual church.

Note though that "p" can also mean pauper.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 04 00:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a double christening.  The parents changed religions or maybe were from two different religions.  Odd but can happen.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 04 17:02 GMT (UK) »
My father, who was the son of a priest, pointed out that the only reasons, he knows, a second baptism/christening can occur are the following:
1. The vicar is de-frocked!!!
2. Pauper's baptism then the real thing
3. Change of denomination!!!!
Say catholic to methodist or protestant....
Normally you can only be baptised once in that denomination!!

I too have a double christening, but at different churches, St Botolph without Aldgate 11/4/1827 and St Olave, Hart Street 4/3/1833, both given with the same name, parents and birth date!

My entire family clan had moved from one church to the other (change of denomination?) and re-baptise a child already covered. I know that it must be the same child as she maintains her correct age all through her life and a sibling, who is baptised at the same time, is staying with her in a much later census in 1871!  :o

So.....it does happen!!!  :o

Geoff.
All lookups are crown copyright