Author Topic: ZWART - South Shields  (Read 4539 times)

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ZWART - South Shields
« on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in learning more about this family of which I have the following details:-

1.  George Victor David Zwart, merchant seaman, and his wife Ellen, nee Horner, lived at 66 Napier Street, South Shields.

a)  She gave birth at this address to Norah Ellen on 26 September 1906.

b)  There was another daughter called 'Eva' although I do not think that this was her birth name.

c)  A third daughter, Ellen Georgina, was born on 3 May 1919 at 29 Bede Street, South Shields.

2.  Daughter Norah Ellen married Ben Ali, merchant seaman and they had Maria Ann who was born on 28 January 1933 at 24 Bede Street, South Shields.  Norah Ellen subsequently married someone with the surname of Lewis.

3.  Daughter Ellen Georgina married William Newbound and they had 2 children, Robert and Cyndi(e).

4.  Daughter 'Eva' married John ?

I am not aware if there were any other children of George and Ellen Zwart.  All of their daughters came to London, either in the late 1930's or early 1940's.

If anyone can add anything to these details I would be extremely grateful.

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Re: ZWART - South Shields
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Do you want information going back on the census, or are you just looking for more recent info?

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 November 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
David,

Thank you for your very quick reply.

To put you in the picture, my late wife was Maria Ann.  I am not looking for in depth research but obviously any census details relating to the Swart side would be of interest.

One of my next tasks is to trace the 3 sisters' careers and marriage details following their arrival in London.  I can reach the Family Records Centre reasonably easily.

Again thank you for your help.

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 November 07 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Ok for info then

1901 census - 22 Brunswick St, South Shields, Durham

George Zwart - head - 33 - Labourer in shipyard - Bavaria? Dutch Subject

RG13/4733 folio 61 pg 17

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 November 07 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I posted earlier today, but it was lost when the site crashed, so in case you didn't see it, here it is again :

If you check on the FreeBMD website and run an "all types" search for Zwart in Co Durham you will see (all in South Shields District) :

Marriage : George Zwart and Ellen Horner, Sep qtr 1903
Birth : George Edward Zwart, Dec qtr 1904
Birth : Norah Ellen Zwart, Dec qtr 1906
Birth : Monica Johanna Zwart, Sep qtr 1908
Birth : Charle P.J. Zwart, Sep qtr 1910
Birth : Mary Zwart, Sep qtr 1913, mothers maiden name Horner
Birth : Patrick Zwart, Jun qtr 1917, mothers maiden name Horner
Death : Patrick Zwart, age 0, Jun qtr 1917
Birth : James F. Zwart, Mar qtr 1921, mothers maiden name Horner
Marriage : Theresa Zwart or Horner, and Dollah Mahamet, Jun qtr 1921
Marriage : Monica J. Zwart and Richard Telford, Mar qtr 1926,
Marriage : Norah E. Zwart and Ben Ali,

There is also a birth of a Theresa Horner in South Shields, Dec qtr 1902.

Alan

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 07 19:57 GMT (UK) »
David,

Thank you for the 1901 Census information.  I find it a little hard to compare this George Zwart with my one as he is shown as a merchant seaman on the birth certificates of Norah Ellen and Ellen Georgina.

In addition Brunswick Street is not mentioned on either.

Totally digressing, I am researching my father's Home Guard service and I am not having much luck.  I do recall there was someone called Pinkney who may have been an officer in the local company.  My father was in the General Post Office at Sutton, Surrey and he was quite friendly with this person called Pinkney.  Is there any connection with your side?

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 November 07 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Alan (WolfieSmith),

Thank you for the information on this family.  (The crash did affect your response).

The details you provided are extremely helpful but as with anything to do with genealogy, it raises a few questions.

1.  I am still unable to identify which one is 'Eva'.

2.  As for Ellen Georgina born 3 May 1919; what has happened to her?

It is all slightly confusing so I will have to delve further.  I did not realise there were so many children.  I knew all three sisters and they never mentioned anything about their previous life in South Shields.  All I knew from my wife is that she with her mother moved to London in the late 1930's or early 1940's and initially lived in Gray's Inn Road.  I am not aware of what happened to Norah Ellen's first husband, Ben Ali.  When I first met her she was living in Balham, south west London as was then married to Mr ? Lewis.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
The Free BMD website is a work in progress, fairly complete up to about 1915 or so, very patchy thereafter, stops at around 1920.

I checked the complete indexes for 1919, there is a :

Birth : Ellen G. Zwart, Jun qtr 1919, South Shields, mothers maiden name Horner.

I also checked the "gap year" of 1915 as they appeared to be in a regular cycle of having a child every 2 years or so. Pretty normal for the day.

Birth : Eva Zwart, Jun qtr 1915, South Shields, mothers maiden name Horner.

The George Zwart from 1901 census is almost certainly your man. These Zwarts are the only ones in Co. Durham from the start of records and are all his kids. Best bet if you want to take it further is to get a copy of his marriage cert from 1903, will give his address, occupation, fathers name, Ellens fathers name, etc.

Anther lost message from yesterday was from Stan Mapstone pointing out that George was a Dutch subject from Batavia, rather than Bavaria. Which was the old Dutch name for Jakarta in Indonesia I think.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 November 07 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, Alan.

Thank you for your latest posting.  At least you have proved me wrong as I always understood Eva was not her actual name.  Also confirmation of Ellen Georgina or 'Auntie Nellie' as I always knew her.

Thank you once again for your fantastic help and as suggested I will also be requesting one or two certificates.