Author Topic: Where did Michael Kelly come from?  (Read 9134 times)

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
  • Its never too late to find your "roots".
    • View Profile
Where did Michael Kelly come from?
« on: Sunday 11 November 07 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where exactly my Gt Gt Grandfather came from and when he came to England. All I have was that his name was Michael Kelly and he came from Queens County and was born in 1830 his occupation in UK was a Policeman (I was always told he was from County Cork and was caught in some sort of scandal and left very quickly perhaps a family myth) I am in NZ so its a bit difficult doing things from this end. If its not too much trouble any other info you have on him or his family would be appreciated I have nothing except a photo and his name on Gt Grandfathers birth cert.

Thanks in advance for any help
Kelly, Lloyd, Hutchinson, Baynham, Myerscough, Hodson, Jones ,Paine (Payne Pain) Wareing, Hodgetts - Ireland, Warwickshire (Birminingham), Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent), Lancashire, Herefordshire

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Michael Kelly come from?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Bonnie66,
In Ireland, it's like the land of a thousand Kelly's, anywhere in Ireland you will find Michael Kelly, try the Griffiths Valuation (just type that in) and you will see what I mean. Your search will, perhaps, need more information, before any person can narrow down the search.
Regards,
Jack

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I was almost positive I posted a reply here the other day but perhaps it vanished due to the technical problems lately.
Anyway, as seanmac says, Kellys are everywhere in Ireland and you need more information (parish if not actual townland not even just the county) before you will find any information in Ireland.
Ireland was part of the U.K. and no records were (and still are not) kept of travel between Ireland/England/Wales/Scotland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 09:34 GMT (UK) »
 :) I have absolutely no other information about him whatsoever, apart from what I have given you.

I know he married Emma Baynham in Birmingham June 1863 and on my Gt Grandfathers B/C he is listed as a policeman, in later census when he is in his 50's he is listed as a Brassfoundry Warehouse Man. One of my cousins is going to try to get a copy of the MC to see what leads that gives us, but as I am in NZ and she is in UK I will just have to hurry up and wait ;D I just wish I knew where he was between the time he was born and the time he married Emma. The Census just says Queens County Ireland.
Kelly, Lloyd, Hutchinson, Baynham, Myerscough, Hodson, Jones ,Paine (Payne Pain) Wareing, Hodgetts - Ireland, Warwickshire (Birminingham), Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent), Lancashire, Herefordshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate will give (hopefully) father's name & occupation but will not list date and place of birth or mother's name.

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 11:28 GMT (UK) »
I know but we have to start somewhere and that seemed to be a logical place to start, as you say there are so many Kellys its just not feasible to get everyones b/c, may be a start may not who knows what it will turn up.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have just found a Michael Kelly in my tree.  I've been researching my great-grandmother Sarah Kelly born in 1853 in Queens Co and have been unable to get further back.  On her marriage certificate it says her father was Michael Kelly, bricklayer, there could be a connection as your Michael was born in 1830.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 October 10 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is possible, but unlikely as my "Michaels" father (also Michael) on his M/C is listed as "Guardia" I think that is how it is spelt in other words one of the Irish Police Force, and Michael jnr followed in that line of work in Ireland and the UK although he did marry in UK, he married Emma Baynham.

Good luck I have about six people in Ireland all trying to find either of my Michaels..................

Dyan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 October 10 09:00 BST (UK) »
It is possible, but unlikely as my "Michaels" father (also Michael) on his M/C is listed as "Guardia" I think that is how it is spelt in other words one of the Irish Police Force, and Michael jnr followed in that line of work in Ireland and the UK ...
The GARDA SÍOCHÁNA only formed in 1922.
http://www.policehistory.com/early.html