Author Topic: Thomas Lindsey Wood Army Records  (Read 2190 times)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Lindsey Wood Army Records
« on: Sunday 11 November 07 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for info about my Dad Thomas Lindsey Wood  born Sept 1902 Died Feb 1991 ,and I have tried all the info that I know.
This is the info that I have about him so far
B IOGRAPHY: Thomas Lindsey Wood military service was in the 1st Bn of the Welsh Regt.  He retired as a sergeant major. He fought in North Africa as part of the Desert Rats. He was in Burma, the Indian Army and also fought along with the Gurkers.
My father was attached to the Indian Army and served with the 8th Army/

Dad also served with 41st Regiment of Foot
. He joined the Corps of Commissionaires 31 January 1928 and retired when he was 65years old or so.

Dads Army Info
8th Army
Service No 731384

Reference 1483107
Dear Sir: (Ref  AFP AA(CO) 15/1/2/WW2/ 1483107
Thomas Lindsey Wood Service No 731384
I know that he got the 193901945 star
African Stat and Clasp 8th Army
War Medal 1939/1945
I enclose two photos of my dad, one when he was younger and in the Welsh Reg and the other, I am not sure.
I have tried Army forces personnel office but they really did not give me anything that helped.
I would like to get his service records to discover where he really was, but I am in the US so not sure how.
Any help would be appreciated
I am not sure how to attach two photos
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lindsey Wood Army Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 07 23:54 GMT (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6190054&queryType=1&resultcount=3

As well as WW2 service he also has a Medal Card from the Great War which you can download for £3.50 there may be other info on it.

The younger photo you posted is Circa WW1.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 07 00:09 GMT (UK) »

I have tried Army forces personnel office but they really did not give me anything that helped.

When you say you have tried army forces personnel office, do you mean you have paid your £30-35 and applied to these people - http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html? If so this may be the only avenue open to you. However If he was discharged after WW1 there is a chance his WW1 papers are in Kew. Ancestry are hoping to publish what survives next year, or you can ask Kew to send the microfilm covering his name to your nearest LDS History Centre. However only about one in 3 or 4 survived WW2 bombing.

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 07 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your answers. yes, I paid the money but they gave me the run around and sent me a letter with on the info that I posted.
I am not sure how to contact kew and get a sensible answer but will try.
Again, thanks
Ady the medal card info is really helpful. I will download it in the morrow at leas their might be more info on it. I did not think WW2 records were available.
I am not sure what this means
The younger photo you posted is Circa WW1.

Ady
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:41 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Index card the link goes to just shows which medals he would have been entitled to it MAY also have other info annotated on it such as dates he first entered theatre amongst others.

Its from the First World War not 2nd

Its not a true "Service Record" but worth the cost to add to your research.

What i was saying about his photo as a younger lad shows him as a LCpl in the Welsh Regiment about the time of the Great War.

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Probably better to start at your nearest LDS history centre and ask them about getting films from Kew.

WW2 records would be what you should have received from the MOD. I would complain to the MOD, ask them to look again or request your money back.

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 November 07 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I Agree with Ken....Ask em for another look !!

Also the younger photo you posted its probably before 1920 as the Welsh Regiment became Welch Regiment and his shoulder title definately says Welsh.

Do you know which Indian army regiment he was with possibly records with Indian Army Records??
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 November 07 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your answers.
As I am in Oregon I will have to contact LDS about getting films from Kew, but I need to know what to ask for.
I will organize the medal card today as soon as I wake up.
I am not sure about the Indian Army. All the info I have was the 8th Army, but I will search some more.
Again thanks
Joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,