Author Topic: Lauchlan Carmichael  (Read 21040 times)

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lauchlan Carmichael
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 March 09 14:43 GMT (UK) »
just registered when I saw thisdiscussion. My family links go back to james carmichael and jean home.their first 3 children were registered together in 1803 0n birth of James haliday when James snr was described as a merchant.(had they been abroad?) When Mary Home was registered in 1805 the witness was Dr Haliday and James was settled in new job-Exchequer.marriage record of Mary in 1830 showsjames in tax office Edin.
Jean Home's father was a planter in Grenada-James was a merchant were they born or lived abroad?
Did not know of 2nd marriage of James
Poss birth of JamesOPR 24/7/1765 Edin. would match age at time of deathbut not info. from 1841 census.-A mystery

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 March 09 15:43 GMT (UK) »
I agree James Carmichael b. 1795 is the best fit, his father John was a Merchant in Edinburgh and one of the witnesses was Thomas Maben a Clerk in the Post Office.
The age stated on the death record (86 in 1850) does not tie in with 1841 CS. which are rounded ages,however if true it means that James C. was 34yrs. when he married the illigitimate daughter of Francis Home, is it possible that Jean home was his second wife and margaret Shaw his third.
A James Carmichael married Margaret Ried 28th. Sep 1781 one of the children was Ann Home Carmchael b.1787, James could be aged 16 but this is probably a red herring.
You may be interested in the correspondence between George home of Paxton to be found on the National Archives of Scotland by searching using James Carmichael as the search input.
If you have any difficulty let me know.
My wife's family traces back to James C. and his wife Margaret Shaw m. 1822. this means that Jean Carmichael nee Home probably died between 1814 and 1822 have you any details of this death.

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 March 09 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian .I don,t have any other info on Jean Home.unfortunately spent a long time on a false trail. I do not have any birth or death records for her. I also reckoned that 1765 birth for James seemed right but that would mean he was about 57 when he married Mgt Shaw.Because of census info I was wondering if there were 2 jamesCs who worked in the tax office. It certainly is complicated especially if a 3rd wife is involved!
I would be glad of any info you have on Jean or james and will certainly pass on anything I find out.

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 March 09 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Look at the reference national archives of Scotland.
Brian.

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
My records show children of Jean Home & James Carmichael:
Jean Home Carmichael b. 1799
George Home Carmichael b.1800
Peter Carmichael b.1802
James Haillday carmichael b. 1803
Mary Home Carmichael b.1805
Penelopy Carmichael b. 1809
Frances Home Carmichael b. 1811
Agnes Carmichael b.1814.

I suspect that Jean Carmichael (nee Home ) died between 1814 and 1822 but have yet to find evidence.
I am aware that death record are held by Scotlands GRO but not yet available online.
Brian.

Offline fhresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Although a bit confusing I think we are on the right track.

Sir Andrew Halliday married Helen Carmichael dau of Peter Carmichael of Edinburgh in about 1804. I don' t have an original marriage record yet, just the notes on it.
He was known as Dr. Halliday and most probable a relative involved with the family.
He was the personal Dr. for the delivery of the Duke of Clarence's (later William IV) second child who died at four mouths. So that shows he did work with young children and maybe did deliveries.
Some of the siblings of Sir Andrew Halliday named their children after both him and Lady Helen Carmichael Halliday. I surmise they were well liked and as the Carmichael family had James Halliday Carmichel and a Helen Halliday Carmichael it can be found there too.
My direct, James Young (1792-1875) was the ill. son of Elizabeth Halliday (later Thomson) and Robert Young. He was a nephew to Sir Andrew Halliday. He also worked in the excise office in various places in Scotland and England. He was in the Edinburgh office too.

Debbie
Dumfries: Halliday, Thomson, Boyes, Bell, Laidlaw, Porteous, Young, Manderson, Swan-Lockerbie, Moffat, Thornhill, Castlemilk, Lochmaben
Perth: Stewart, MacNaughtan, McDonald-Aberfeldy, Achnafauld,  and Bridge of Tilt, Blair Atholl
Thurso:Manson, Sinclair
Argyll: Taylor-Castle Toward
Glasgow: Telfer, Russell
Cumberland: Hodgson, Bowe, Telfer
North Riding, York: Russell, Robson, Calvert, Simpson

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting:
Andrew Halliday b. 1824  Carmichael son of James Carmichael and Margaret Shaw became a licentiate of the college of surgeons in 1846, his qualification was L.M. which I understand is a Midwifery qualification coincidently with Sir Andrew Halliday's profession.
He died unmarried in Cheshire having lived in the Wirral.
Brian

Offline fhresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Sir Andrew Halliday was involved in many aspects of medicine. He had an interesting, if not fabulous, career. The fact that the naming patterns are showing both he and his wife in both of their families is helpful.

I think we can use this to put the families together. He had no issue. It makes sense that the relatives honored them by naming their children after them.

D
Dumfries: Halliday, Thomson, Boyes, Bell, Laidlaw, Porteous, Young, Manderson, Swan-Lockerbie, Moffat, Thornhill, Castlemilk, Lochmaben
Perth: Stewart, MacNaughtan, McDonald-Aberfeldy, Achnafauld,  and Bridge of Tilt, Blair Atholl
Thurso:Manson, Sinclair
Argyll: Taylor-Castle Toward
Glasgow: Telfer, Russell
Cumberland: Hodgson, Bowe, Telfer
North Riding, York: Russell, Robson, Calvert, Simpson

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian for info on Jean home and James Carmichael. I had only info on their first 4 children.If I come across anything that may help you I'll pass it on