Author Topic: Lauchlan Carmichael  (Read 21044 times)

Offline kay_linds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lauchlan Carmichael
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 22 March 09 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Excited to read this thread about Lauchlan Carmichael, like Brian I am a direct descendant of David Henderson Carmichael (b 1856), through his daughter Lillias Carmichael and her son, Albert Wallace Potts.

We are all stuck on James Carmichael who married Margaret Shaw and have been interested to read where everyone else is. 

We agree with everthing back to James Carmichael and Margaret Shaw apart from on the 1901 census Andrew Halliday Carmichael is listed as a widower.

Interestingly enough my Grandad tells a story about an ancestor being Queen Victoria's doctor is this Sir Andrew Halliday?  We've not so found anything so far to validate this story.

Does anyone know anything about sisters of David Henderson Carmichael called Sarah or Anne? As we can't find them on any census but my Grandad talks of them and says they never married but had lots of property in Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Lindsay & Kay

Offline fhresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 March 09 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Quick reply is yes Sir Andrew Halliday was the physician for the Duke of Clarence later Wm IV. He held the baby, who would have been next in line instead of Victoria,  all night long who died with a fever and etc. at the age of four months. This I found on the www.Internet Archives in a full text book about the incident. I have not found anything abt Queen V. but many family stories still exist-gotta go-more later. Debbie
Dumfries: Halliday, Thomson, Boyes, Bell, Laidlaw, Porteous, Young, Manderson, Swan-Lockerbie, Moffat, Thornhill, Castlemilk, Lochmaben
Perth: Stewart, MacNaughtan, McDonald-Aberfeldy, Achnafauld,  and Bridge of Tilt, Blair Atholl
Thurso:Manson, Sinclair
Argyll: Taylor-Castle Toward
Glasgow: Telfer, Russell
Cumberland: Hodgson, Bowe, Telfer
North Riding, York: Russell, Robson, Calvert, Simpson

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 23 March 09 08:50 GMT (UK) »
L&K
David Henderson Carmichael b.1855 m Janet Carmichael (maiden name) 1877.
The only sisters I  know of Elizabeth C. b. 1857, Elizabeth C b. 1858, Margaret C. b.1860, Margaret Shaw C. b.1865 and a dau. to Marion Goodlet his 2nd. wife,Jessie C.

James Henderson Brown Carmichael (son of David Henderson Carmichael)  m Annie Frost 1901, her sister was Sarah.

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 23 March 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
D.
Jean Home was the illegitimate Daughter of Francis Home a planter in Grenada.
Francis was the brother of George Home of Paxton the proof is in document GD267/12/5 which can be accessed via the NAS web site. The document refers to a son of James and Jean training to be a Surgeon, but I don't know which son this is, a son from his later marriage to Margaret Shaw did qualify as a licentiate of the college of surgeons (Edinburgh) in Mexborough 1846.
George Home of Paxton and Wedderburn Ancestors go back a very long way.
Another George Home d.1774 was the Town Clerk in Leith he married Janet Halliday is this family in any way related to Jean Home ? Where did she live when she came back from Grenada?

Offline kay_linds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 March 09 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brian, you've pretty much confirmed what we thought in relation to Sarah & Anne.

We'd just found yesterday that James Henderson Brown Carmichael was married to Annie Frost and I was wondering how much else you'd found about the Carmichael's from that generation and further down.  We've got quite a bit on one branch of the family, i.e Lillias Carmichael but not a great deal on others and wondered what you had?

Happy to share what we know or to help fill in any gaps.

Lindsay

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 23 March 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
My records for David Henderson Carmichael go back to James Carmichael  married to  Margaret Shaw 1822.
I think this was his second marriage firstly married to Jean Home 1798 but yet to find proof.

Janet carmichael married to D.H.Carmichael was daughter of Peter Carmichael and Lillias Dick married in St Ninnians 1877 their parents are not certain yet.

Offline kay_linds

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 23 March 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian,

We have Lillias Dick's parents as William Dick nail maker and Anne Dawson.

The other information we have for Lillias Dick is  1811 St Ninians
died 19 october 1876 Royal Edinburgh Asylum

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 23 March 09 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes I agree, it is really Peter carmichael's death cert. that creates some confusion.
Possibly  d. 1884 at Collinton poor House father William Carmichael, Mother margaret Ferguson but can only find Colin Carmichael married to Margaret Ferguson 1789 Perthshire.

Offline demented

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 March 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
a witness on the birth record of my 3xg grandmother Mary Home Carmichael in 1805 was dr Haladay.I've been trying to establish a link with James Carmichael or Jean Home and Dr halliday.I have just discovered that Sir Andrew Halliday also had a link with the army -was appointed deputy inspector general of army hospitals became inspector general of  hospitals in the west indies.Could this be a link with Jean Home?
Have been unable to access document via NAS website so far but have a poss link  from IGI of birth of Francis Home  about 1713 to Sir George Home of Wedderburn and his wie Margaret.