Author Topic: Lauchlan Carmichael  (Read 21042 times)

Offline fhresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lauchlan Carmichael
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Just saw this message and joined up to reply.

In researching Sir Andrew Halliday (1782-1839) and his wife Lady Helen Carmichael d. 31 Oct 1850, it states Lauchlan Carmichael, a chemist living at 13 Carlton St., Edinburgh,  as the next of kin and executor of the estate. This was from her will in the Edinburgh  Sheriff Court in 1860.

They married around 1804. I have info on Sir Andrew Halliday and am seeking to find any children from this marriage and/or to connect with others researching this line. I am esp. interested in the sister of Sir Andrew Halliday, Elizabeth Halliday Thomson.

Best wishes, D.
Dumfries: Halliday, Thomson, Boyes, Bell, Laidlaw, Porteous, Young, Manderson, Swan-Lockerbie, Moffat, Thornhill, Castlemilk, Lochmaben
Perth: Stewart, MacNaughtan, McDonald-Aberfeldy, Achnafauld,  and Bridge of Tilt, Blair Atholl
Thurso:Manson, Sinclair
Argyll: Taylor-Castle Toward
Glasgow: Telfer, Russell
Cumberland: Hodgson, Bowe, Telfer
North Riding, York: Russell, Robson, Calvert, Simpson

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 February 09 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I am intrigued by your reply.
Thomas Halliday m Margaret Porteous
Andrew b abt.1756 Dumfrieshire.
Andrew Halliday m Helen Carmichael abt. 1786 Edinburgh.

I have been unable to find a marriage between Elizabeth Halliday and a Thomson but I will persue.

----------------------------------------------------------

Our family roots go back to James Carmichael a clerk in the tax office Edinburgh m Jean Home  1798 and christened one of his children James Halliday Carmichael

James Carmichael Snr. subsequently married Margaret Shaw 1822 and christened  children Andrew b.1824 ; Lauchlan b.1826; Helen Halliday b. 1830; Alexander Porteous b.1832.
The second christian names Halliday and Porteous pop up in subsequent generations to this day but I have failed to find James Carmichael's parentage.

Lauchlan Carmichael is reported in the 1851 census living in 21 Salisbury St., Edinburgh occupation Chemist and Drugist age 24, his brother ended up as a Doctor.

Have you any clues.

Best wishes Brian.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 February 09 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian & D,

I did some searching since D posted his/her reply, found out that Sir Andrew Halliday was knighted 1821. Will need to try and connect Lady Helen Carmichael & James Carmichael Snr. The use of Halliday as middle name started after the knighthood in 1821, a wee bit family pride, maybe.

I have not been able to connect James and Lady Helen yet, needs more effort.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 February 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Halliday and Porteous were used from 1803 and 1832 respectively.

Thanks I'll keep trying but any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes Brian.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have found some information on an Alexander Porteous Carmichael in a book called Scottish Biographies (1938).Although this may be too recent for your ancestors it does mention he is the son of the late Alexander Carmichael.Please let me know if you would like to know more.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 February 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes please.
Brian

Offline fhresearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 February 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear B and T,

Exciting!

I am in the process of researching Sir Andrew Halliday for a short biography. There are numerous sites on the Internet with info. I really do not know where to start in telling you about him. However, I find little mentioned about his wife.

Names mentioned in the will of Sir Andrew Halliday (1839):

Halliday family-his sisters Janet, Elizabeth ( my direct line), Jean, Margaret, and Agnes and/or their lawfull issue. No other names from his family.

Carmichael family- Mrs. Grace Porteous who he lists as his sister-in-law and who is the widow of  the Reverend Alexander Porteous. Janet Carmichael sister-in-law. Grace later lives with Lady Helen as listed in the 1841 census and 1851 census. I am currently having a relative take photos of her homes in Edinburgh at these addresses.

Perhaps the listed Janet Carmichael in the 1861 census who is wife to James might be the connection making one of them a sibling or nephew/niece to Lady Helen Carmichael Halliday. I do know that Lady Helen was the dau of Peter Carmichael of Edinburgh.

Sir A H born 1782 in Dalton parish, Dumf. to Thomas Halliday ( parents William Halliday and ___Bell) and Margaret Porteous dau of Archibald Porteous, portioner of Copewood. As a side note Sir AH did spend three summers as a tutor on the Isle of Mull for Murdoch Maclaine who was uncle to Lauchlan McQuarrie. Another possibility for the name Lauchlan.

What do you think?

Debbie

PS In my family the names of Halliday and Porteous were used as middle names for five generations and has made it interesting and clearer to see the connections. However, until last summer when I found the info on Elizabeth, and her family members, no one knew of the significance or anything about Sir AH. The middle names now have great meaning to us.

Dumfries: Halliday, Thomson, Boyes, Bell, Laidlaw, Porteous, Young, Manderson, Swan-Lockerbie, Moffat, Thornhill, Castlemilk, Lochmaben
Perth: Stewart, MacNaughtan, McDonald-Aberfeldy, Achnafauld,  and Bridge of Tilt, Blair Atholl
Thurso:Manson, Sinclair
Argyll: Taylor-Castle Toward
Glasgow: Telfer, Russell
Cumberland: Hodgson, Bowe, Telfer
North Riding, York: Russell, Robson, Calvert, Simpson

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 February 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
"Carmichael,Alexander Porteous.Craigower,The Loan,  Loanhead, Midlothian. Born 1879, Edinburgh. Son of the late Alexander Carmichael. Ed.Moray House;
George Heriot's School,Edinburgh. Married 1908,Helen Telfer, daughter of late Michael Lawson;1 son, 1 daughter. Councillor,burgh of Loanhead,1934: Junior Bailie, 1935-36;Senior Bailie since 1936. Recreations: gardening,golf,motoring."
From "Scottish Biographies 1938" published by E.J.Thurston,177-8 Fleet Street,London, & Jackson,Son & Co.(Booksellers)Ltd. 73 West George Street,Glasgow.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Brian Holcroft

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 February 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reference:
Alexander Porteous Carmichael b 1880 shown with his parents in 1881 census, his mother Marion Goodlet 2nd wife of Alexander Porteous Carmichael - occupation butcher. Living 21 Salisbury St. Edinburgh.
His father also Alexander Porteous Carmichael b.1832, father James Carmichael Clerk in the Tax Office, mother Margaret Shaw.
The name and birth dates are identical in your reference,but require further work to confirm. The death cert for Alexander porteous Carmichael Snr d. 1895 is signed by A.H. Carmichael son.
Our family tree descends from  David  Henderson Carmichael b.1856 son of A.H. Carmichael Snr..and 1st. wife Janet Henderson.
My real stumbling block is the parentage of A.H. Carmichael's father James Carmichael who died 1850 in Edinburgh.
Thanks for your help best wishes Brian.