Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109646 times)

Offline vancouver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #45 on: Monday 22 June 09 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiJane

The  1911 Census can be accessed at http://www.1911census.co.uk/

I think the information for the Orphanage has  been added recently as I did  not find these two children when I first searched the census.

By searching online I have found general information about the orphanage.  Seems many boys entered the R.N. after they left. My great uncle entered the R.N. at the age of 16 and was killed in the First World War.

Wendy

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 06 July 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think you are correct Wendy that the records have only just been put on the 1911 census, as I couldn't find 3 children originally; the other 4 were living with their mother in Hull, their father sadly died in 1908.

I have now found the other 3 children, one is definitely in the Orphanage and the other 2 are listed in an institution, which I presume will be the same Orphanage - have run out of credits at the moment to be sure!

Cannot wait for Hull Archives to reopen in September!

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 06 July 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
This is an interesting story about one hull boy's experience of life in the Sailors' Orphanage more commonly known as Newland Homes:

http://www.thisisull.com/fiction/frankbeill.html

Thanks for this link Carol, the story is fascinating, I've saved it to my favourites to read properly when I have more time.  It helped me imagine the life my g.uncle must have led there, before he too left at 14.

Lizzie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 06 July 09 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie...You're welcome....make sure you haven't got anything pressing to do when you start to read it :D :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 06 July 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
make sure you haven't got anything pressing to do when you start to read it

That's why I've saved it, I just kept reading ::)

Lizzie

Offline JMC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 14 August 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am also researching the Hull Seaman's and General Orphan Asylum on Spring Bank, Kingston upon Hull.  I have two 'ancients' who are listed in the 1891 census and who were sent there after their father died in 1890.  He was a First Officer on the SS Sea Horse.
I am looking for photo's of either the orphanage or the SS Sea Horse.
Could anyone advise me how to find records from the Orphanage?
Thank you

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 14 August 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi JMC

I got the information about my g.uncle who was in Newlands Orphanage, from the Hull Archives.  The staff there were very helpful and I contacted them by e-mail.  However, as Kim said in her posting on 24 June 2009:

I responded to a survey at Hull Archives a few weeks ago and said that I was very interested in seeing the new centre because I wanted to see if there were any records for Newlands Orphanage and got an e-mail reply saying:
"We’re really looking forward to the opening as well, and the Newland Orphanage records are certainly one of the many collections that we will be improving access to in the new place."

it looks as though you will have to wait until the archives re-opens, which is supposed to be Autumn 2009.

Lizzie

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 14 August 09 23:35 BST (UK) »

it looks as though you will have to wait until the archives re-opens, which is supposed to be Autumn 2009.

Heard yesterday from a usually reliable source that the opening has been delayed, so we might have to twiddle our thumbs for a bit longer.  :(
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 14 August 09 23:45 BST (UK) »
Heard yesterday from a usually reliable source that the opening has been delayed, so we might have to twiddle our thumbs for a bit longer

Well there's a surprise  ::) ::)

Lizzie