Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 109655 times)

Offline penligen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 15 August 09 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi JMC and all with interests in the Hull orphanage/s.
JMC I  found the SS Sea Horse, she's included  in a book "A ships in Focus Fleet History' compiled by Arthur Credland (Curator of Hull Town Docks Museum) and Richard Greenwood. No photo unfortunately, but I copied the details for you:
Iron schooner-rigged steamer. O.N. 56135  Launched 1867 by Tod & McGregor, Glasgow, 60HP. 1868 Registered in the ownership of the Countess of Cardigan, Deane Park, Northamptonshire as SEA HORSE. 1873 sold to Sir Henry Edwards, Ashbourne, Derbyshire. 28/3/1881 Registered in the ownership of Walter S Bailey, Hull. 1883 sold to Prince di Sirignano, Parigi, Italy and renamed RONDINE. 1892 Omitted from Lloyds Register of yachts.
Like everyone hoping to get more info on the orphanage/s when the archives are opened. Regards KiwiJane

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 15 August 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
For all those interested in the Hull Seamens' General Orphanage..here is a little more information...It's seems there is a book: Our Orphans - The Story of The Hull Seamen's General Orphanage by J.D. Hicks...1853 -1979

http://www.hullcc.gov.uk/museumcollections/collections/subtheme.php?irn=202

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Stangat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 17 August 09 10:55 BST (UK) »
Further to what has been said above regarding the opening of the new site.

I drove by the site near what I remember as Charlotte Street Mews (I don't get up there often) and it looks as though the building is still a long way from completion. Then the internal fitting out will have to be done not to mention the records being moved.

I know these things come together very quickly but I can't see it being in the near future.

cheers

Ian
Ellis :- Hull and Devon
Holmes :- Yorkshire
Jull :- Kent
Johnson :- Hull
Roberts :- Leicestershire
Warry :- Leicestershire
Baldwin :- Gloucestershire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
I have just found a copy of a postcard that I have of the General Orphanage and Asylum...I had forgotten about it and came across tonight......it is subject to copyright so I can't post it here but if anyone would like to send me a P.M. I will happily email it to them...It does have a faint watermark but it doesn't detract from the postcard.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline penligen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol I would like a copy of the postcard. Do I post my email address here? Regards KiwiJane :

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwijane....If you P.M. me your email address I will be happy to send you a copy...It will be later today as I am at work.
Carol

Offline penligen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, PM you? Not sure how you mean me to communicate? KJ

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiJane....If go onto my personal profile by clicking onto the face icon just below my Avavtar...you can send me a personal message that cannot read by anyone else.. :D
Carol

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 10:11 BST (UK) »
KJ

Alternatively, click on the green scroll under Treetotal's avatar.

Lizzie