Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 110049 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Well now Lizzie..I have learnt something too ;D....I never knew that...Ooo...they give monkies harder tricks ::)
Thanks.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Happy to be of service Carol. ;D

Lizzie

Offline kaydoubleu27

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Saturday 22 August 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
Just an update on the Hull  History Centre. The website says there will be a 6 days a week LIMITED opening service from Autumn 2009 but doesn't say when in Autumn 1009. It will be fully open in early 2010.

http://www.hullhistorycentre.org.uk/ - this will give you the proposed opening hours in 2010 and will presumably give the opening date.

Kim
Murphy - Yorkshire (mainly Goole), Guernesy & Ireland
Ward, Broadhead, Laverack, Duckels, Skelton, Williamson, Crowther, Lambert, Clark - Yorkshire
Smart, Dalton - Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bradley - Kent
Deamen - Wiltshire
Shave - Dorset

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 22 August 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
The website looks good and easy to navigate, although I've already spotted a spelling mistake - seperately instead of separately. ::)  I couldn't do a search though, I get the following message:

Failed to connect to DScribe server 'localhost'. Client cannot open connection to server

I assume the search engines are not up and running yet.

Lizzie

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
A senior Hull City Archivist has released information about the archival material related to the Hull Seamen's and General Orphanage dated 1866 -1985 outlining what will be available and conditions of disclosure. She gives a detailed account of the information available about the institution.
If anyone would like a copy of the article I will be happy to email them...I have already sent it to those who have already supplied their email address.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline hobonical

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you go down springbank you will see a public house called the polar bear.That is were the orphanage was and all that is left is one large stone at the entragne

regards

Simon Holborn
resident in Hesslewood 1960 to 1972

Offline elin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Madisaurus Vex
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Simon, once the Archives are opening I will be visiting.  It will be good to know exactly
where Springbank Orphanage was. :)

Elin

P.S.  Welcome to RootsChat
Foxwell (Wotton Under Edge and South Wales), Howell (Stroud & Wotton Under Edge), Jones (South Wales) Merrigan (Liverpool), Kelly (Liverpool) Titley (Lincolnshire and Staffordshire)  Hellier (Somerset and Monmouthshire)           All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hobonical

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 31 August 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Gosh thanks for the prompt reply.I am still living in the area and remember the building before it was knocked down. I will try and get a picture but local information was the building which was demolished some time ago and became a government building was the site of the orphanage origionally.
If you have further info I will look into it.
Also there are records held by Hull City Council archives, which I have seen once and could look at again

Regards
Simon