Author Topic: Mcphersons Banff  (Read 1911 times)

Offline utrecht003

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Mcphersons Banff
« on: Wednesday 14 November 07 20:24 GMT (UK) »
My Wife has a William Mcpherson born ABT 1811 Kirkmichael
                                                     died  1893
he was married to a Christina Grant  bef 1841 she died 1870 in Mortlach Dufftown Banff.
they had children    Norman Grant Mcpherson
                               Jane Mcpherson
                               William Mcpherson
                               James Mcpherson
   Do these names ring a bell with anyone?
William sen. parents were I think John Mcpherson and possibly Ann Stewart

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mcphersons Banff
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the death certificates of William Sr and Christina? You can download these from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost. These will confirm the names of their parents.

I see they are at Mill, Aberlour, in 1841, with William's age listed as 30 and Christina's as 35, plus son John, aged 1. As adults' ages in the 1841 census were rounded down to the nearest 5 years, this means he could have been born any time between 1806 and 1811, and she between 1801 and 1806.

They are listed in Kirkton, Aberlour, in the 1851 Census, but the transcription on FreeBMD http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl gives his age as 36 (born 1816/1817) and hers as 48 (born 1802/1803), and the only children listed are Jane, 8 and James, 5. Neither census lists Norman or William Jr, by the way.

Although the IGI lists no possible candidates, LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp lists four Roman Catholic William M(a)cPhersons baptised in Kirkmichael/Inveravon around 1810, one of whom was the son of John M(a)cPherson and Anne Stuart, baptised 28 November 1810 at Kirkmichael.

However with such disparity of ages in the census, you really need to see the death certificate to be sure.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline utrecht003

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 December 07 15:19 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply forfarian. I got  a copy of the  death cert of William McPherson  and it confirms the parents. Jane and James Jane B 1843 and James b 1846 are also confirmed. William son B 1845 reported the death and there is at least one other son John B 1840.    I checked out the LIBINDX
that was an interesting place I didn't know of but have it now on "my favourites" but there is one question --- William Mcpherson Delevochan   What is delevochan.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 December 07 15:39 GMT (UK) »
but there is one question --- William Mcpherson Delevochan   What is delevochan.

It's the place where William was living at the time. I don't immediately recognise it, but if you like to post an image of the document which includes it I'll have a think about where it could be.

I see they were in Mortlach in 1861, William aged 47, Christina aged 59 and Jane, aged 18.

I wonder why their son William b 1845 is not listed in either the 1851 or 1861 census? Come to that, none of the censuses list a son John either. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.