Author Topic: Can any one point me into the right direct to go?  (Read 867 times)

Offline angie6141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can any one point me into the right direct to go?
« on: Thursday 15 November 07 12:33 GMT (UK) »
For some time l have been searching for my fathers birth cert. and was unable to locate it as my grand mothers maiden name didn't show up on any of the references but l knew his date of birth and area of birth so after some thought sent of for a cert with a different maiden name and what happen was that it was my fathers birth cert.
the question is this my father was of thirteen children and he is the oldest all other children have the surname Brinkman but his is Putland. she was pregenat when she got married marriage cert says Brinkman spinster no fathers name. been unable to find birth cert for her all l know that she was bought up in Eastbourne.
how would l progress?
many thanks

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can any one point me into the right direct to go?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 November 07 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angie

You don't give a time-frame, so it is difficult to be specific.

PUTLAND isn't an uncommon name in the area, so a few more details would help - like grandma's first name and the marriage details (who were the witnesses? the date and place?).

Have you looked for baptisms of any of the children to see whether the vicar added details?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline angie6141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 07 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi here are all the details l have my grandmother name was Dorothy Eleanor olive Brinkman on marrige cert 1932 married in oxford. age give 21 my aunt says her birth date was 15/7/1911  there was a story that she may have been bought up by relatives. her childhood was living Eastbourne
have look for both surnames and have drawn a blank.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 07 16:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for a Dorothy E Putland born in Eastbourne in 1913.
Reference: 

Eastbourne, March 1915, Vol 2b, Page 122

Interestingly the name given for the mother is also Putland.  Perhaps if it is your Dorothy, her mother married a Mr Brinkman so she put that name on her marriage certificate, but used her real maiden name for the birth of your father.

Liz   

Offline angie6141

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 07 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz thank you l have seen that reference but on freebmd it also comes up with a death for the same person that is why at the moment l have put this aside.
but thank you

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 07 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh, OK, I didn't check any further.

Liz